- Premier Dwight Ball
- Jim CarrNatural Resources Minister
- Justin TrudeauPrime Minister of Canada
- Carolyn BennettMinister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs
Free Inuk Grandmother Beatrice Hunter: Labrador Land Protector
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000.
Inuk Grandmother Beatrice Hunter, Labrador Land Protector and warrior Inuk woman, has been thrown in jail for trying to save the future of her land and people from a Trudeau-backed mega hydro project at Muskrat Falls being led by the Newfoundland and Labrador Government and their crown corporation Nalcor: http://theindependent.ca/2017/05/31/inuit-grandmother-jailed-after-refusing-to-stay-away-from-muskrat-falls/
The Muskrat Falls project will poison the water, land, and all life forms with methyl mercury for generations to come. It is built in part on quick clay, which moves, leaving open the possibility of a catastrophic dam collapse. Scores of Indigenous and non-Indigenous land protectors face serious charges for peacefully trying to stop this dangerous, unnecessary project. http://theindependent.ca/2017/03/18/land-protectors-face-criminal-charges-for-defending-water-food-culture/
We are calling on the Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador Dwight Ball, who is ALSO Minister of Labrador, Intergovernmental, and Indigenous Affairs, as well as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr, and Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada Minister Carolyn Bennett, to immediately intervene and meet the following demands:
1. Immediate release of Beatrice Hunter
2. Dropping of all charges against Labrador Land Protectors and lifting of the anti-democratic injunction against land protectors brought by NALCOR Energy
3. Cancel the Muskrat Falls hydro project because it is too dangerous in the short and long term, whether from catastrophic collapse of the North Spur (which is built on quick clay, which moves) or from methyl mercury poisoning.
- Premier Dwight Ball
- Natural Resources Minister
- Prime Minister of Canada
- Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs
Free Beatrice Hunter: Labrador Land Protector and warrior Inuk woman
Matthew Behrens started this petition with a single signature, and now has 3,983 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Jacinda is counting on you
Jacinda Beals needs your help with “Premier Dwight Ball, Free Inuk Grandmother Beatrice Hunter: Labrador Land Protector”. Join Jacinda and 3,982 supporters today.