Save Clyro School

Save Clyro School

0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
At 1,500 signatures, this petition is more likely to get picked up by local news!

Parents, Clyro Primary School started this petition to Powys County Council

Powys County Council are determined to make a teacher redundant and the process has already begun behind closed doors, without any public consultation.

We believe they are intent on eventually forcing the school's closure by stealth. Help us fight to stop this happening to our amazing school!

 

Background:

Clyro Primary school is a small rural school in Powys bordering England and Wales. It is one of the top performing schools in the local authority, as seen in our 2019 Inspection Report which said it is "...a caring community where pupils are happy and feel secure... behaviour is excellent and pupils thrive as confident, capable learners. Standards are high and well-being and care are a strength."

Last year numbers attending school dropped from 91 to 89, which doesn’t seem a significant drop, but due to the peculiar tiered system (called "Fair Funding Formula")  which allocates teachers in blocks of 30 children, falling below the 90 mark meant one FTE teaching post is to be removed. This means a cut of 25% of staffing costs as Powys wants to reduce the number of classes from 4 to 3, even though by next year, numbers are predicted to rise above the threshold. The School Governors refused to agree to the Council’s proposals as this would entail having mixed year classes of up to 38.

Following this refusal, on Friday December 18th, Powys Council then announced they would be taking financial control away from the School Governors and instigate a redundancy process. We believe this will sound the death knell for our school, putting it into a downward spiral. Their timing was reprehensible. After a year of Covid restrictions, lockdowns and home-schooling, Powys chose the last day of term before the Christmas holidays to give this news. On top of an incredibly stressful year for all our children and families, they heap further anxiety on this close community. The very least they could do was postpone for one year until recovery from Covid is underway to see the true financial situation.

 

Ways to help:

Please help us to protect the future of our brilliant school in this rural area and keep our successful team of staff together.

Thank you for signing this petition. Please do share on your preferred social media sites.

If you would like to help financially, we have a GoFundMe  and we would be most grateful for any donations you may be able to give.

Further updates are available on our website www.saveclyroschool.com

Thank you again, from the bottom of our hearts.

 

0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
At 1,500 signatures, this petition is more likely to get picked up by local news!