Residents Opposing Intended Position of Cova 'Playground Construction' at Cova Marina
This petition had 41 supporters
Voicing our concerns for the placement of children’s climbing and playing structure at the Cova Marina park. Our request is to relocate the playground structure within Cova.
Residents of the Cova community express the following concerns.
1. The lack of communication with the Cova residents. The justification for changes to the original approval was based on community requests. However, there has been no community consultation done.
2. Residents of the community are upset with the position of the playground equipment. The chosen structure is a play and climbing apparatus for children. Positioning a play structure next to the main road, open water and a swimming pool is of high concern.
3. Residents of Cova are already experiencing a number of difficulties with children and teenagers jumping the pool fence. Body corporate has expressed difficulty with addressing these concerns, all attempts to stop this occurring have failed. The placement of a climbing structure next to the pool area, adds to the traffic flow whilst aiding temptation for more people to jump the fence and use the Cova facilities. These children are mostly unsupervised adding to safety concerns.
4. Cova residents chose the estate for lifestyle purposes. The architect designed Cova recreational facilities to take advantage of the marina and waterfront view. The pool lounge area was designed to have a garden and marina outlook. This view will be spoilt and obstructed by the playground structure, which does not align with the Cova design or colour scheme.
5. Property owners were not consulted. Searches at the time of purchase did not indicate anything would be built here. Developers and agents assured buyers of Cova that it would never be built on. We are concerned why the positioning was not discussed or specified with property owners within the Cova community.
6. Cova has many other areas suitable for hosting a playground. There is no logical reason to place it on the waterfront and the main road, in the busiest area of the community. Once again, raising safety concerns for the children.
7. This space is currently used for community group fitness classes. The placement and development will cause a disruption and relocation of these events. These events have become a great way for the COVA, and surrounding communities to enjoy healthy social activities.
8. Cova residents currently enjoy the use of two waterfront grass areas. These areas are often used by families and residents of all ages. The intended playground construction only caters for one demographic. Isolating and limiting the use of the area is of high concern. The residents will lose the two most scenic areas of COVA. This area is currently enjoyed by the entire Cova community. The building of a playground construction will limit space for community and family gatherings. The marina area is currently used for community events, concerts, sports, families and games. Once the playground and apartment block is built, the residents will have no space to enjoy their community and family events.
9. Cova residents are concerned with maintenance and insurance costs. Although the structure is for public use on council land. COVA residents are expected to cover these expenses with body corp. We have since been advised in writing from Frasers, that council will pay the Public Liability insurance. Formal information has been requested. This change doesn't reduce further concerns for wear and tear on COVA property. The increased traffic flow and use of parking spaces in this
We have since been advised in writing from Frasers, that council will pay the Public Liability insurance. Formal information has been requested. This change doesn't reduce further concerns for wear and tear on COVA property. The increased traffic flow and use of parking spaces in this location, will heavily impact on the COVA residents and maintenance costs.
Application Number: OPW201601524, Description: PUBLIC PARK, Code: OPERATIONAL WORKS, Class: PUBLIC LANDSCAPING, Work: PERMISSIBLE CHANGE, Lodged: 13/07/2016
Today: Rebecca is counting on you
Rebecca Anthony needs your help with “Position of Cova 'Playground Construction' at Cova Marina”. Join Rebecca and 40 supporters today.