The Portland Association of Teachers’ bargaining proposal preamble, “The Schools Portland Students Deserve”, calls for:
• Reduced class sizes and caseloads
• More electives, music, art, physical education, libraries, and world languages
• Wrap-around support services, including counselors, nurses, social workers, psychologists, second-language and special education teachers
• Equity in allocation of resources to high poverty schools
• Maintenance of enrollment rather that school closures
• Use of standardized testing as only on tool for assessment of students
• Academic freedom and collaboration for professional educators
The Portland Public School district has recently called for mediation and is refusing to continue bargaining face to face with the PAT. Tell the district that you support the PAT's bargaining preamble and they should continue to bargain the issues above, because teachers' working conditions are students' learning conditions.
Portland Student Union started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,361 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.