All fire performance venue permits will be revoked in the city of Portland by Dec 31, 2012 because of the new provisions of Administrative Rule FIR-3.07, which sets for extreme limits on fire performance. These limits are completely detached from any realistic possibility of continued fire performance. According to the new permit, ARB-FIR3.07, no venue in Portland meet these spacial requirements.
COMPLAINTS ABOUT FIRE CODE LIMITS:
1. 25-foot distance between audience and performers
2. 30 feet from a "non-combustible background" on three sides
3. 50 feet away from any "combustible background"
4. Max 3 performers at a time with 5' extra in every direction
5. 12-foot ceiling rule
6. Two spotters per performer
7. Open ended "large audience" and fire marshals discretion clauses
8. List of “allowed for indoor use” fuels contains dangerous fuels, including biodiesel and kerosene.
FIRE PERFORMANCE COMMUNITY SOLUTION: Form a professional association that will allow venues to circumvent the new fire code, The Portland Association of Fire Artists( PAFA). PAFA provides certification classes for fire performers and safeties, including first aid as indicated in FIR-3.07 If a venue agrees to hire only PAFA-certified performers and safeties, then the sections of the new code indicated
above don't apply to them.
We, the undersigned, demand a realistic solution to the dilemma of FIR-3.07. We want cooperation and coordination between the Portland Fire & Rescue and The Portland Association of Fire Artist certification as the solution. We demand safe fire performance allowances in indoor venues in Portland!
Agenta Nikita started this petition with a single signature, and now has 2,402 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.