Port Phillip Council: Take sustainability seriously!
This petition had 53 supporters
To the Mayor and Councillors
City of Port Phillip
We commend Sustainability commitments in the Draft Council Plan:
· To initial funding for the new ECO Centre
· To commence a Heat Management Plan
· To a Waste Management and Resource Recovery Plan
· To increase permeability, and
· To a Sustainable City Community Action Plan to address emissions.
However, the last point fails to set any targets for a zero-carbon community in Port Phillip, as many other local governments have already done. The Draft fails to adequately recognise the implications of the energy market transformation now gathering momentum. Solar panels, battery storage and smart grids offer huge cost, stability and emissions benefits.
Given Council’s failure to invest in its Toward Zero Plan, to the point where only 60% of the Toward Zero targets will be met, Council must prove it’s seriousness in tackling climate change at our local level. The current plan does not go far enough.
If Council positions itself well, while also making urgent climate adaptations, our City will benefit both environmentally and financially. But such positioning calls for significant further commitments:
· To upgrade all Council buildings not yet upgraded
· To negotiate Power Purchase Agreements
· To create a Port Phillip Energy Foundation
· Adding detail about stormwater harvesting at Albert Park Lake
· To guidelines (eg for footpath and kerbing works) to improve permeability
· Establishing a baseline for permeability targets
· To an effective replacement of the Towards Zero Forum
· Establishing clear targets to be achieved by 2027
· To emissions targets for the Sustainable City Community Action Plan
· To a goal of community carbon neutrality by 2050.
Only by taking sustainably seriously can we move Port Phillip to a post-carbon world.
Today: Colin is counting on you
Colin Smith needs your help with “Port Phillip Council: Take sustainability seriously!”. Join Colin and 52 supporters today.