Ban Deadly Plastic Dome Drink Lids and Plastic Ring Seals IMMEDIATELY & SAVE OUR WILDLIFE
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
Corella in Crisis - SAVE OUR WILDLIFE....STOP THE CRUELTY Abolish Deadly Plastic Takeaway Dome Drink Lids and Plastic Ring Seals
This distressing photo was taken by my friend Julie in her garden at Deception Bay, Queensland. This picture speaks volumes. The scent of something sweet probably attracted this little Corella to a discarded takeaway drink, then absolute terror! I wonder how many other birds, reptiles, marine life and small creatures are suffering the same cruel fate in silence and fear that we don't see.
I often find littered on my local beach, or floating in the shallows, hazardous fishing line and discarded takeaway containers, including these "plastic dome lid nooses" and many solid ring seals from under plastic caps. The risk doesn't only lie in dome lids being trapped around the neck of a poor creature, they also resemble jelly fish in the water. On my daily walks I pick up discarded Dome Lids in shopping centre car parks, gutters, beaches, community parks and playgrounds etc. THESE ITEMS ARE LETHAL TO ALL WILDLIFE.
Although all ring seals and lids pose the same risk to wildlife, of particular concern are the raised dome shaped lids, with a large hole in the middle, that would prevent a bird or animal from eating or drinking (I've seen 23mm and 43mm diameter holes). These lids are rife throughout the cafe takeaway and fast food industries (used for iced coffees, slurpees, crushers, frappes, thickshakes, sundaes, frozen softdrinks etc).
The plastic used in these specific lids is extremely sturdy with a sharp rigid inside edge (very painful if pressed around the neck of a bird or animal). Dome Lids can not be torn with hands. I imagine it would take years to break down in the environment, along with the "unbreakable" ring seals (of all sizes) found under the majority of softdrink, juice, milk, vitamin and medicine caps. Not only are they a guaranteed death sentence, it would be a painfully slow horrible starvation or choking death. Even if birds and animals somehow managed to eat and drink, the ring seals and dome lids would slowly strangle them as they grew. Ideally ALL plastic ring seals and plastic lids should be banned entirely.
Unfortunately there was no happy ending for this little Corella. This photo was taken on an earlier visit, however, over the following weeks his condition deteriorated significantly (dirty and dishevelled). Sadly, being "different", he was isolated, and not welcome in the flock. He couldn't be rescued as he was extremely skittish and could still fly, albeit with difficulty. He hasn't been seen since February.
Until people are made aware, they have never considered the dangers of entrapment to wildlife from Plastic Takeaway Dome Drink Lids. The ultimate goal is to have these deathtraps banned forever. In the meantime, say "No Lid, Thanks". If you must use one, or see one littered, cut it in half with scissors & dispose of it responsibly.
SUMMARY (Recommendations/Solutions in order of preference):
Plastic Dome Drink Lids (All sizes)
1. Abolish this plastic product IMMEDIATELY (Dome lids kill wildlife).
2. Use a flat lid instead, made of recycled biodegradable cardboard, with NO straw hole at all. Surely people can remove a flat lid if a "re-usable" metal straw or spoon is required.
3. Use a flat lid instead, made of recycled biodegradable cardboard, with four perforations crisscrossing the centre hole so it separates easily under duress.
4. A deeper cup be used if room is needed for toppings or cream (e.g. iced coffee) and the flat lid removed for a "re-usable" metal straw or spoon.
Plastic Ring Seals (All sizes from under Softdrink, Juice, Milk, Vitamin and Medicine caps etc)
1. Abolish this plastic product IMMEDIATELY (Plastic Ring Seals strangle wildlife).
2. Manufacture from recycled biodegradable cardboard, with four perforations crisscrossing the solid ring seal, so it snaps when twisted open.
3. Substitute rings with cardboard/foil inner seal type under the tamper-proof (child-proof) screw top caps.
4. Replace the need for plastic ring seals by using air-tight metal lids.
5. Replace rings with the tear-off plastic strip/band type cap (tears off in a single line) in lieu of the unbreakable ring seal.
Flat Plastic Takeaway Drink Lids (All sizes)
1. Abolish this plastic product IMMEDIATELY (The holes in these lids can be torn to a larger diameter and trap wildlife).
2. Manufacture from recycled biodegradable cardboard with NO straw hole at all. Surely people can remove a flat lid if a "re-usable" metal straw or spoon is required.
3. Manufacture from recycled biodegradable cardboard, with four perforations crisscrossing the centre hole, so it separates easily under duress.
ALL Plastic Dome/Flat Lids and Plastic Ring Seals (All sizes)
1. The current style of lethal plastic dome/flat lids and plastic ring seals should have four perforations crisscrossing the centre, so they separate under duress (or, in the case of ring seals, snap when twisted open) until all are PHASED out completely, and replaced with another environmentally friendly alternative (e.g. recycled biodegradable cardboard).
2. In the meantime, educate people to care, and cut these items in half after consumption before disposal in a bin.
3. Enforce mandatory laws that manufacturers face stringent regulations and seek approval from an Environmental Consultant before these products hit the market.
4. As an extra incentive to replace these disposable plastic products with cardboard, businesses could have their store logo imprinted on the lid.
5. Sadly we can't change some people's abhorrent behaviour, but we can reduce the impact on the earth's innocent and vulnerable wildlife by producing ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY products.
STOP THE CRUELTY. Let's give our wildlife a fighting chance and remove these deathtraps, especially the plastic dome lids and plastic ring seals from production and circulation IMMEDIATELY.
"Compassion, in which all ethics must take root, can only attain its full breadth and depth if it embraces all living creatures and does not limit itself to mankind"
Dr Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965)
Philosopher, Theologian and Medical Missionary
I honestly didn't know who to send this urgent plea to, so if you know of another authority to deal with this matter, forward it on with the earth's creatures and my sincere gratitude. Let me know how you can help. This is a GLOBAL problem, let's pave the way for change. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you wish to discuss this matter further. I would appreciate your feedback.
THIS IS A CALL TO ACTION TO PROTECT OUR PRECIOUS WILDLIFE. PLEASE DON'T IGNORE THIS CRY FOR HELP.
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!