City of Lake Waukomis DROPPED the animal abuse citation against Thomas Newhouse and they based this decision on the Missouri animal abuse statutes provision, even though the City of Lake Waukomis have their own ordinances in place. Go figure.
Platte County Prosecutor Eric Zahnd REFUSES to press charges against Thomas Newhouse due to his incorrect interpretation of the statutes. We want to see his decision reversed. Thomas Newhouse MUST be charged with animal abuse and he must be punished appropriately. We must also focus on changing Missouri's poorly written animal cruelty statutes. We'd like to see the attorney general press animal abuse charges against Newhouse.
Missouri's animal abuse statutes MUST be changed - as they stand, they essentially allow pet owners or their agents to KILL their animals. This is barbaric.
This is important because the LAWS needs to be reinforced so people stop intentionally harming, maiming and killing animals.
On Sunday, July 14, 2013, Thomas Newhouse decided to kill his fiancé's cat by drowning it in Lake Waukomis. The decision was made by he and his fiance the night before after the cat had scratched a family member. After attending church services, Mr. Newhouse placed the cat in a carrier, took it down to the dock and submerged the cat and the carrier in the water for a few minutes, until the cat was dead. There were numerous witnesses (including children). Someone called 911 and Mr. Newhouse was cited for drowning the cat. His court date is August 20, 2013 and more than likely, he will just pay his fine and be on his way.
578.012. Animal abuse--penalties
1. A person is guilty of animal abuse when a person:
(1) Intentionally or purposely kills an animal in any manner not allowed by or expressly exempted from the provisions of sections 578.005 to 578.023 and 273.030, RSMo;
(2) Purposely or intentionally causes injury or suffering to an animal; or
(3) Having ownership or custody of an animal knowingly fails to provide adequate care or adequate control.
2. Animal abuse is a class A misdemeanor, unless the defendant has previously plead guilty to or has been found guilty of animal abuse or the suffering involved in subdivision (2) of subsection 1 of this section is the result of torture or mutilation, or both, consciously inflicted while the animal was alive, in which case it is a class D felony.
For a linke to the original story: http://www.kctv5.com/story/22858136/man-admits-to-police-he-drowned-cat-in-lake-after-it-bit-scratched-family-members
Annette Ruiz started this petition with a single signature, and now has 3,904 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.