Save the Marine Life from the Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Save the Marine Life from the Great Pacific Garbage Patch

0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
At 200 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!
Layne Crowder started this petition to plastic users and

My name is Layne, I am a 17-year old attending high school enrolled in grade 12. I always enjoy walking on the beach, looking at the beautiful ocean and feeling the water slipping through my toes. Don't you? It makes you happy, right? Now think about all the plastic and garbage that has ended up in the ocean because people didn't care to recycle it. As of now, if we don't recycle all the marine life around the Great Pacific garbage patch could easily become extinct.

Over time plastic trash from our everyday lives may start from a trash can or landfill, but will end up in the Great Pacific garbage patch. 80 percent of marine debris comes from land, according to the United Nations Environment Program. The other 20 percent comes from boats, offshore oil rigs and large cargo ships. The items found in the ocean are easily mistaken as food or habitats for marine life.

We can’t blame anyone except for ourselves. Plastic isn't the problem. Its what we do with it. Every time you choose not to recycle you are making the problem worse. It takes almost 450 years for a single plastic bottle to fully degrade, when it could take you 5 seconds to put it in the recycling bin.

Does it make you feel good that you are killing marine life by using plastic carelessly?

700 marine animals are faced with extinction due to the threat that plastic poses to them in the form of entanglement, pollution and ingestion. 50 percent of sea turtles have plastic in their stomachs. In the close future, 99 percent of all seabird species will have ingested plastic waste. These numbers are extremely high and are concerning to the marine life population, especially around the Great Pacific garbage patch. Globally, we produce 300 million tons of plastic each year, 78 percent of which is not being reclaimed or recycled.

Why should you care?

We need the ocean to live. It gives us many important resources. It keeps our air clean, provides us with food and is home to marine life. We need to realize our actions have consequences and if we don't make changes the ocean will be damaged until its irreplaceable.

There are many easy solutions to help marine life and the ocean. An efficient solution is to use reusable products. Instead of using plastic straws, you can use metal or paper straws. Instead of using plastic bags, you can use reusable bags. Instead of using plastic bottles, you can use reusable bottles. Overall, everyone needs to leave the earth a cleaner, healthier place for all inhabitants in our world.

The marine animals do not deserve to eat or get entangled because of plastic trash. They don't know what it is and the effects the plastic will have on them.

The marine species of the ocean are unable to speak up for themselves. So, I am being their voice for them. Use your voice and spread awareness of this ongoing problem. It starts with one easy step that can make a lasting effect. Even if its a small one. Start your first step by signing my petition so we can save the ocean and the marine life! Thank you! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
At 200 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!