Pets Corner - Change your minimum requirements for rabbit breeders
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
Pets Corner, you state that you use 'ethical breeders' for your rabbits, however, your minimum standards for rabbit breeders do not reflect this.
The reasons for this are as follows:
- There is no requirement for the breeder to show proof of the parent's vaccination records
- The minimum housing requirements for the rabbits (breeding adults and kits) is an enclosure of 152cm x 76cm x 60cm per 2 rabbits
- No run or exercise area is required
- Rabbits should be let out of the hutch for a minimum of 1 hour a day
Giving these rabbits 1 hour per day of exercise means that they would be in their hutch for 23 hours a day, a standard that you deem to be acceptable. This can lead to skeletal problems, boredom, frustration, aggression, depression and abnormal behaviours. It is cruel and unethical to keep rabbits in this way.
A Hutch is Not Enough!
We ask that if Pets Corner must continue to sell rabbits, that you at least show some compassion to the rabbits that are being bred from and improve the minimum requirements asked of your breeders to be in line with the minimum standards set by the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund and the PDSA. The RWAF state that the very minimum set up for 2 rabbits should be:
- A good quality 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch (6ft being the minimum length that will enable them to take three hops)
- Constant access to a secure 8ft x 6ft x 2ft run
- The run must have room for toys, digging places and tunnels and rabbits must be able to run and display normal behaviours.
We also feel that proof of vaccination should be a contracted requirement in order to ensure that the rabbits health needs are being taken care of.
Today: Annie is counting on you
Annie Hawkins needs your help with “Pets Corner - Change your minimum requirements for breeders”. Join Annie and 598 supporters today.