Save ACS Cobham's Early Childhood Village
This petition had 42 supporters
We want to keep ACS Cobham’s wonderful Early Childhood Village alive.
Notably, we are challenging the following decisions:
- The integration of Early Childhood into Lower School
- The elimination of the 2 & 3-year old programs (Flopsy Bunnies & Scramblers) from ACS Cobham’s educational provisioning
ACS Cobham's Early Childhood Village is a wonderful environment for our community's young children and we want to keep it!
Please see the attached summary of the letter (full letter printed copies are available at school from representative parents).
Over 50 families have signed the hard copy at school already! However, as it is difficult to get to everyone at school, we have started the online version as well so everyone can have a voice. You can show your support by either signing online or by signing a hard copy at school. For those who would like to give more details on your personal opinions regarding the importance of Early Childhood, we also have a questionnaire available to fill out.
SUMMARY OF OUR LETTER:
We are petitioning against the decisions taken by the Board of ACS Schools Limited in July 2017 regarding the future of Early Childhood.
We are against the merger of Early Childhood into the Lower School and against the discontinuation of the Flopsy Bunny and Scrambler programs (for 2 and 3 year olds). We believe these changes have impacts on the whole of ACS.
1. Merger of EC into LS
• The EC Village is a small community ideal for the development of our young children who can develop in a safe, secluded environment, yet are integrated within a larger school
• There has been no transparency, nor has there been any consultation during this decision-making process, with neither LS nor EC parents, as to how the merged entity will operate, what the leadership will look like, where it will be physically located and what the other impacts will be on the LS and EC programs.
2. Discontinuation of programs for 2 and 3 year olds
• There is no rationale for discontinuing these incredible programs: (i) demand for these programs is there with both classes being oversubscribed with waitlists this year, (ii) they are accretive financially to the school and (iii) there is easily space on campus to have both these classrooms
• These 2 programs are NOT mutually exclusive with the creation of an IB centre of excellence or college consulting floor for the MS & HS, which we also support. There is plenty of space on campus not utilised to its maximum potential to accommodate two classrooms for 2 & 3 year olds that are currently used by non-student facing administrative staff (Heywood House and West Lodge for example)
• These programs allow ACS families to have ALL their children on a single campus; this facilitates the move for expat families and also helps to recruit local, long-term students
• These younger children mingle with MS & HS students through community service activities and participate in school-wide events – we believe that this is a positive to the experience of MS & HS students as well with no negatives for these communities
Today: Parents and Friends of ACS Cobham Early Childhood is counting on you
Parents and Friends of ACS Cobham Early Childhood needs your help with “Petition to Keep ACS Cobham's Wonderful Early Childhood Village”. Join Parents and Friends of ACS Cobham Early Childhood and 41 supporters today.