Endorse the Declaration of Resistance against the Presidency of Donald J. Trump
This petition had 1,915 supporters
Donald Trump has already proven he is unfit to be President. Yet Members of Congress have been too reluctant to demand accountability for his blatant Constitutional violations and abuses of power.
Please sign our Declaration of Resistance to send a clear and direct message to Congress and Congressional candidates: Donald Trump's lawless Presidency can no longer be tolerated or normalized. Congress must provide the leadership to prepare for his removal from office at the earliest feasible time.
---------- Declaration of Resistance ----------
We the people of the United States hereby declare our resistance to the Presidency of Donald J. Trump. We affirm our support for the United States Constitution and condemn Donald Trump’s violations of the Constitution, his Oath of Office, and the norms of personal decency and leadership that we expect from the President of the United States.
The Constitution provides the ultimate legal framework within which our democracy operates. As President, and unlike any President before him, Donald Trump has consistently spoken and acted in ways that violate, denigrate, and undermine basic principles of our Constitutional form of government:
- He has undermined the 1st Amendment right to “freedom of speech, or of the press,” by falsely attacking factual reporting as “fake news.”
- He has disparaged the Constitutional Separation of Powers (Articles 1, 2, and 3) by openly misrepresenting and undermining the powers and authorities of the Judicial and Legislative branches of Government.
- He has disregarded the 5th Amendment guarantee that no person shall be “deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law” by threatening the rights of non-Christian American citizens and encouraging police to ignore the Constitutional rights of suspects.
- He has violated the 14th Amendment right to “equal protection under the law” by singling out religious or other groups for unfair treatment in a series of executive orders that have been overturned as unconstitutional by federal courts.
- He has shown contempt for the rule of law by pardoning Joe Arpaio, a former official convicted of criminal contempt for willfully defying a federal judge’s lawful order to enforce the Constitution.
- He has ignored the Article 15 promise that “The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged” by refusing to acknowledge that foreign powers have attacked our electoral systems and failing to defend against such attacks in the future.
- He has allowed himself to be enriched by foreign governments in violation of the Foreign Emoluments Clause (Article 1, Section 9, Clause 8) and by domestic individuals and corporations in violation of the Domestic Emoluments Clause (Article 2, Section 1, Clause 7).
In each of these statements and acts undermining the authority and supremacy of the Constitution, Donald Trump has failed to uphold the central tenet of his Oath of Office, which is to “preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.” In violating his Constitutionally mandated Oath, he has failed to “faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States.”
In matters of personal decency and leadership, Donald Trump has conducted himself in a manner that offends and insults the integrity of the Office of the President and the reputation of the United States as a member of the world community.
- He has shown blatant disregard for the truth and the intelligence of the American people by engaging in continual lying and deceit.
- He has supported racist and white supremacist persons and beliefs, defending neo-Nazis and members of the Ku Klux Klan as “fine people.”
- He is on record confessing to sexual assault, and has been charged with sexual misconduct by over a dozen women.
- He has publicly insulted and denigrated military heroes, prisoners of war, and the parents of fallen soldiers.
- He has publicly compared our intelligence community to Nazi Germany.
- He has intentionally and vindictively put the lives and health of millions of Americans at risk by undermining the Affordable Care Act, sabotaging the health insurance markets, and cancelling environmental regulations on harmful chemicals.
- He has weakened our national security and embarrassed the American people by expressing contempt for allied democracies and their leaders, while praising autocrats and dictators who actively suppress democratic rights in their countries.
- He has encouraged bigotry, hatred, xenophobia, and race-baiting in numerous statements both as a candidate and as President of the United States.
By these actions and words, Donald Trump has shown himself to be a clear and present danger to our Constitutional form of government and the rule of law. He is unfit to hold the Office of President of the United States.
To our elected Representatives we say silence is no longer an option. Every day Donald Trump remains in office without being challenged firmly and publicly, our democracy grows weaker. He must be put on notice that his violations of the Constitution, his Oath of Office, and the norms of decency and leadership will neither be tolerated nor normalized.
Accordingly, we call on all our elected Representatives:
- To support and join our resistance to the Presidency of Donald Trump.
- To pledge your support for opening a formal impeachment inquiry in the House of Representatives.
- To approve and pursue all appropriate actions to remove Donald Trump from office by impeachment, invocation of the 25th Amendment of the United States Constitution, or imposed resignation.
Today: Indivisible South Bay is counting on you
Indivisible South Bay needs your help with “Petition Members of Congress to Endorse the Declaration of Resistance against the Presidency of Donald J. Trump”. Join Indivisible South Bay and 1,914 supporters today.