Call for Justice: Protest for Safe Roads in Bangladesh
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
In Dhaka, Bangladesh -students take the streets, protesting against reckless drivers and demanding justice.
Student agitation on road safety has spread all over the capital, with youths from more schools, colleges and universities joining in.
Two students were killed when a bus ploughed through students in front of Kurmitola General Hospital on Airport Road on 29th July. Following the death of those two students , hundreds of students from different schools and colleges have been demonstrating at different points of the capital demanding road safety.
Students have made a nine-point demand, including capital punishment to reckless drivers.
- Killers of the students must be brought to justice
- Shipping Minister Shajahan Khan must offer an apology for his comments about the road crash and resign.
- The arrested students must be freed.
- Footbridges must be built on roads adjacent to all educational institutions.
- Speed breakers must be set upon roads in accident prone areas.
- Unfit vehicles and driving without license must be banned.
- Public transport fare must be halved for students across the country.
- Buses must not carry passengers beyond their capacity.
- Punishment must be given to the reckless drivers
Students demanded punishment for the drivers of the buses responsible for the death of the two students of Shaheed Ramiz Uddin Cantonment College.
Others demanded that Shipping Minister Shajahan Khan resign and apologize for his remarks on the incident.
Aside from taking the streets, people are also showing support for the protests on social media, posting on Facebook and demanding justice and safe roads.
Links to various news reports:
Today: Students Association of is counting on you
Students Association of Bangladesh needs your help with “People's Republic Of Bangladesh: Call for Justice: Protest for Safe Roads”. Join Students Association of and 238 supporters today.