Keep the Bucks County EMS Regional Office OPEN!
This petition had 934 supporters
What's Going On:
The Bureau of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) for the Commonwealth of PA has notified the Bucks County Regional EMS Office that it will be closed in 2018. As a result, the EMS agencies in Bucks County would become part of the Eastern PA EMS Council headquartered in Lehigh County. To date, the Bucks County Chiefs' Association nor (to our knowledge) even the regional office staff have been presented a reason for the closure.
Anyone who is not aware, the EMS Regional Office serves as the foundation for EMS delivery throughout Bucks County. The men and women in this office have been instrumental in putting Bucks County on the cutting edge of EMS delivery in the Commonwealth. Some of the recent accomplishments of the staff include:
- Physician Response Team - This team is one of only a few in the state. These physicians are specially equipped and trained to respond to complex extractions, mass casualty incidents, and tactical events;
- Regional Data Collection System - This system allows for comprehensive data analysis and focuses education and improves safety;
- Regional Medication Exchange System - Implementing this system eliminated the practice of receiving hospitals providing narcotics to EMS squads in the Emergency Dept which is illegal;
- Mental Health Response Protocol - This was developed from the Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) training for police and has changed the way our providers respond to behavioral/mental health emergencies;
- Regional Medical Command Credentialing / Authorization Reviews - Bucks County is the only region such in the commonwealth. This program ensures uniform base competency among Paramedics throughout the region;
- Regional Bariatric Transport System - Again, Bucks County is the only region in the commonwealth to have a county-wide resource for bariatric support services. These units have transported countless bariatric patients safely and in a timely manner;
- Regional Cardiac Arrest Response Project - This project, along with the High-Performance CPR Initiative, has changed the County's dispatch algorithms and provided advanced training for providers. These accomplishments have led to measurable improvement in survival of sudden cardiac arrest throughout Bucks County;
- Regional Quality Assurance Program - This program focuses on the retrospective review of patient care to proactively identify trends. Key improvements metrics are then established and compliance is measured to improve clinical outcomes regionally;
- Pilot Programs / Protocol Development - Bucks County has been on the forefront of the latest pre-hospital treatments in the Commonwealth. We have hosted multiple pilot programs and developed protocols over the past decade, some of which have subsequently been adopted into the statewide treatment protocols.
None of these programs would have been possible without the leadership and support of the Regional EMS Office. Bucks County is a unique system and you can be sure that our squads, providers, and ultimately our patients will suffer as a result of this closure!
Just put yourself in the shoes of the family member of one of the patients that were saved by the regional cardiac arrest response project. Now, imagine if the region had not spearheaded those changes to our response algorithms and that patient had a negative outcome. Make no mistake, these men and women are saving lives throughout Bucks County just like the EMTs and Paramedics who are responding in the ambulances!
What Can You Do:
- Show your support for the dedicated staff in the EMS Office and write you local State Representative to ask them to keep the Office OPEN! You can click this link to find your Representative's contact information: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/findyourlegislator/;
- Sign this petition;
- Share this page with all of your co-workers, friends, family, and co-workers.
- Continue to monitor this situation for developments and be prepared to continue to show your support for our EMS Office.
Today: Tri-Hampton Rescue Squad is counting on you
Tri-Hampton Rescue Squad needs your help with “Pennsylvania State House: Keep the Bucks County EMS Regional Office open”. Join Tri-Hampton Rescue Squad and 933 supporters today.