Stop SKRILL from making money by using unfair practices on people in developing countries
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
Skrill is a mobile emoney wallet service, much like Paypal. They have marketed themselves aggressively in developing nations as a better alternative to Paypal and other e wallet services. As a result, many people in countries like South Africa, India, Zimbabawe, Nigeria and Pakistan use their services yet they are regulated in the UK.
When you use their services to send or receive money they make a commission on each transaction.This is standard business practice. However, they have now developed a fierce reputation of arbitralily closing wallets that still have money in them. They are disaproportinately doing this to people in the developing countries who have no voice to challenge them. This is how they do it
1. You are able to open an account with minimal verification although your transacting threshold will be low. This is to incentivise you to submit your verification documents. This is fair and procedural.
2. Once you verfify your account, your threshold is lifted. It is as this stage that people start using the wallet to perform online transactions and send money to each other e.t.c. Skrill is very convenient as it allows you to send, receive and make online transactions with ease.
3. This is when they start being totally unethical. After about 3 to 6 months of using their services they will restrict your account arbitralily. An email will be sent to you asking you to explain the nature of your transactions and to prove they are 'personal in nature' and not business related.
If they ' feel' your transactions are of a business nature your account to closed without any further explanation other than you 'violated their policies.'
While this may sound perfectly reasonable, its important to note the following
1. They do not refund the money they would have frozen.The money is deducted from your account and charged as an 'investigation fee.' This is the repsonse you will receive when you quiry the matter: " We reserve the right to charge you in our sole discretion an administration fee as displayed in the "Fees" section of the Website for every investigation we undertake into any such suspicious activity, including where we get notified thereof by any third party whom we partner with."
2. There is growing trend that they close accounts with balances of $200 and above and they do so enmasse in developing countries that are not able to challenge them further.
I have undertaken to do investigations and what i have seen are hundreds of complaints from people in developing nations who complain about the exact same issue. It has been suggested that this is squarely part of their business model.
If in one calendar year they close 10,000 with an average of $500 in them they would have made $5 Million dollars just like that!
This issue has affected me personally. I had a medical emergency when they closed my account for no reason. My account had $430 in it. It's an account i had maintained with Skrill for over 3 years with no issues. It was closed and even after sending them over 9 emails begging them to release the money, i was not able to assist my mother who died because i was not able to provide for her medication as her only son. You must understand that in Africa, it is often the children that support their families. If their income is held/stolen for no reason this can distabablise a household in the most painful manner.
I chose to mention this at the end of the petition so that i could give you all an objective and factual representation of the matter.
I AM PETITIONING SKRILL TO STOP THIS UNFAIR BUSINESS PRACTICE AND TO REFUND ALL THE MONEY THEY HAVE TAKEN FROM PEOPLE WITHOUT DUE CAUSE ! Please help me send this message to them by signing the petition. Thank you.
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!