Establish an electronic waste recycling system
Cette pétition avait 238 signataires
How many cell phones do you have in a drawer somewhere? What about the number of chargers or headphones you threw away in the garbage this year? The fact is, you should properly recycle your electronics instead of throwing them and the simplest way to do that is to bring them to your local electronic store. We asked around why people were not recycling their old electronics and the vast majority said they were too "lazy" to bring them. So in order to make it easier for everybody, we are making a petition for a new service in the municipality of Montreal. We thought of devoting a day of each month where a recycling truck would pick up the e-waste produced by the population of Montreal.
1. According to the United Nations, 41.8 million metric tonnes of e-waste were generated around the globe in 2014. Of that enormous number, 725 metric tonnes were generated by us Canadians.
2. Only 12.5% of e-waste is recycled, according to the EPA.
3. Based on e-waste disposal rates, Americans throw out phones containing over $60 million in gold and/or silver every year.
4. Old television sets as well as CRT (cathode ray tube) monitors contain approximately 4-8 pounds of lead, a neurotoxin. Improper disposal means this toxic substance can leach into the ground.
5. Many major retailers will take e-waste for recycling, regardless of whether you purchased the product from the retailer or not. Among those stores accepting drop-offs are Staples, Verizon, and Best Buy. Always call ahead of time to confirm that stores will accept e-waste and what types of products they will recycle.
Pétitions à la une
Fayssal compte sur vous aujourd'hui
Fayssal LAGHCHA a besoin de votre aide pour sa pétition “Patrouille Verte: Establish an electronic waste recycling system”. Rejoignez Fayssal et 237 signataires.