Penn Community Demands Action on Gun Control
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
Dear Senator Toomey, Senator Casey, Representative Evans, and Governor Wolf,
In the wake of the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida that tragically killed 17 people and injured many more, the students and faculty of the University of Pennsylvania want to express our deep concern for the safety of students and call upon the desperate need for stricter gun control. It is astonishing that school campuses, concerts, and countless other public spaces face a constant threat of gun violence. The access to these deadly weapons needs to be reevaluated in the context of our current society, not the reality when the second amendment was first written hundreds of years ago.
As of February 19th, 2018 there have already been 34 mass shootings. How many more of these tragedies have to occur until you take a stand to enact appropriate legislation? Thoughts and prayers are not enough to stop gun violence. Real policy and social change will lead to safer school campuses. We demand that you use your political platform to speak out against these travesties and implement legislation to prevent future mass shootings.
- Gun homicide rates in the US are 25.2 times higher than other high-income countries.
- The overall firearm death rate in the United States is 10 times higher than other high-income countries.
- Connecticut’s permit-to-purchase handgun law is associated with a 40% drop in firearm homicide rates.
- 94% of Americans are in favor of background checks of potential gun buyers.
The Penn Community demands that you, our representatives,
- Implement stricter background checks that evaluate potential gun buyers’ medical and psychological health.
- Eliminate civilian access to automatic and semi-automatic weapons designed for warfare.
- Close the gun show loophole.
- Require gun ownership licenses.
Today: Amelia is counting on you
Amelia Galbraith needs your help with “Pat Toomey: Penn Community Demands Action on Gun Control”. Join Amelia and 643 supporters today.