- RI State Legislators
Pass laws to protect Rhode Islanders from deadly Contact Voltage
The life you help save from contact voltage could be your daughter’s. It happened to us.
On May 5, 2006, our 14-year old daughter, Deanna Camille Green, was killed by 277 volts of electricity when she touched a wire fence in a city park during our church’s softball game in Baltimore, MD. Her young life was horrifically taken from us by an invisible danger lurking beneath our city streets and parks: contact voltage. Ever since, we have been on a mission for our daughter’s legacy to prevent other families from experiencing a similar tragedy. We have testified twice before the Rhode Island General Assembly to urge the passing of bills S-2387 and H-7532 into law, and we ask you to support these bills with us.
Thank you, Anthony “Bubba” and Nancy Green
Contact Voltage is a major safety hazard in which electricity leaks from deteriorated or faulty underground power equipment, causing publicly accessible objects -- like fences, manhole covers, and fire hydrants -- to become energized. Contact voltage has injured or killed people and pets throughout the world.
Rhode Island needs contact voltage testing laws because:
• Contact voltage hazards have been found in Providence and all across Rhode Island.
• In Providence, a 10-month old Labrador puppy named Luna was electrocuted and killed in January 2011 when she merely walked in the slush on a city street energized by contact voltage. Her owner was bitten and shocked trying to save Luna, and was lucky to survive herself.
• While testing occurs in many U.S. and Canadian cities, utility companies often opt for shortcuts and outdated technology rather than spend the necessary funds to help ensure public safety.
• Mandatory mobile testing is currently the most effective and efficient means of contact voltage detection. At this time, mobile testing occurs only in New York -- where our own utility company, National Grid, is now required to use this method in its upstate service territory -- and to a limited extent in Maryland.
In partnership with the Rhode Island SPCA and the RI Veterinary Medical Association, the Deanna’s Lyric Foundation and the Contact Voltage Information Center (CVIC) are petitioning the Rhode Island General Assembly to enact a contact voltage testing law here to protect all Rhode Islanders from injury or death.
Please sign this petition urging your lawmakers to learn about this issue and take proactive steps towards mitigating electrical hazards. Pass it along to your friends and family-- you will help make a difference.
Visit www.cvicfacts.org for full coverage of the issue.
- RI State Legislators
I just signed the following petition addressed to: Rhode Island State Legislature.
I am writing to you today to urge you to pass S-2387 and H-7532: Contact Voltage Detection, Repair and Reporting in the State of Rhode Island. Contact voltage hazards pose serious and lethal threats to public safety for the people and pets that live, work and play in communities across Rhode Island. Notable deaths caused by contact voltage, like those of Jodie Lane in New York, Deanna Camille Green in Maryland, and countless pets in the U.S. and abroad signify a higher level of attention must be paid to mitigating and solving these problems to prevent future tragedies. When underground distribution cable has reached its useful life or become damaged, it can leak electricity. Electricity is not selective. It energizes all conductive surfaces in its proximity including sidewalks, manholes, roadways, and fences that people and pets come in contact with. Those conductive surfaces must be tested to find and fix hazards buried beneath the ground.
This is why this legislation is so important. Please, support the safety of your constituents and pass these bills TO MANDATE TESTING OF ALL POTENTIALLY ENERGIZED SURFACES before another death makes the headlines.
Contact Voltage Info started this petition with a single signature, and now has 145 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Contact Voltage Info is counting on you
Contact Voltage Info needs your help with “Pass laws to protect Rhode Islanders from deadly Contact Voltage”. Join Contact Voltage Info and 144 supporters today.