Pass a Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights in Oregon
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
I am a survivor of sexual assault and a sexual assault victim's advocate. Victims should be entitled to support in the community and within our justice system, this petition will help change the view of assault victims. Show your belief in victims with this Bill of Rights movement!
I'm calling on Oregon to pass a Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights that will guarantee comprehensive, common sense civil rights for survivors:
Rise’s Five Key Civil Rights:
1. The right to not have your rape kit destroyed before either 20 years or the statute of limitations has passed (whichever is longer).
2. The right to be notified of your civil rights related to a sexual assault.
3. The right to not be charged for your own rape kit examination.
4. The right to access your own medical record related to a rape kit examination.
5. The right to a copy of your own police report.
Over forty states have backlogs for untested kits. Some states do not cover the full medical expenses of a kit, leaving survivors to pay their own way towards justice. Most states destroy rape kits before the statute of limitations for the crime has passed. The lack of these rights has inspired us to act.
This is a crisis for 25 million survivors across America, and it's time for our legislators to do something about it.
Today: Jana is counting on you
Jana Hodgins needs your help with “Pass a Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights in Oregon”. Join Jana and 306 supporters today.