Because the continuous and unrelenting sexist, misogynist vilification of the Prime Minister undermines our democracy
- Julia Gillard, PM of Australia, has held together the hung parliament that the electorate gave her for its full term when her opponents simply wanted to have an excuse for an early election and have taken a wrecking ball to the operations of Parliament.
- The PM has negotiated important legislation with independent members despite simplistic opposition.
- The PM has presided over an economy judged in the top tier with government debt below 10% of GDP (the envy of the US (80%), not to mention the UK and most of Europe), low inflation and low unemployment.
- The PM has championed great causes having major long term benefit for Australia, the National Broadband Network, the National Disability Insurance Scheme, education reform to name a few. Her vision for Australia ought to guarantee her re-election but she is a woman.
- The PM named the September election date in February to provide us the opportunity to investigate policy, to enable us analyse the Opposition's unexplained policies and to come to reasoned decisions. The media have scarcely taken up this challenge, most actively ignoring the need for such analysis and attacking any effort to focus on policy.
- The PM has put up with the most disgraceful personal attacks because she is a woman. Her misogyny speech was loudly praised overseas but not at home. She dealt with Howard Sattler’s intrusive questions about ‘rumours’ of her partner’s sexual orientation in the most calm and reasoned manner. Far better than many of us could.
It's time to put aside sexist politics, to assess the real state of our country, to recognise governance and achievements of the highest order.
We ask you to support this petition calling upon all Parliamentarians, the media, and society to respect a courageous Prime Minister, women and the Parliament. We ask you to call Parliament and the media to demonstrate our better selves rather than dragging us down to the depths plumbed by shock jocks.
Phil Drew started this petition with a single signature, and now has 482 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.