0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
Millions of migrant women domestic workers end up in a very abusive migrant work system in the Middle Eastern countries called kafala. While some of these women succeed, a rapidly increasing number, mostly from Asia and Africa, suffer silently behind closed doors of constant abuse, some are raped, many work long hours with little or no pay, no day off, seized passports and now with Covid19, many are trapped, stranded, suffering, sick, suicidal and some, recently found mysteriously dead!
With Asian countries pushing back on the deadly Kafala jobs, Africa has now become the next frontier for domestic worker kafala jobs. Many African countries have willingly signed Bilateral Labour Agreements in good faith, only to find the agreements did not stop the abuses! The kafala system is inherently without sufficient protection for the maids, behind closed doors.
1. APPEAL TO NOT ACCEPT KAFALA JOBS: We therefore call upon sending countries to stop sending their citizens to deadly kafala jobs in the Middle East. We petition African Governments to hear the cries of the maids and rescue stranded, sick and suffering maids from the Middle East, especially during the Covid19 era and beyond.
2. APPEAL TO END KAFALA: We appeal to Middle Eastern countries to reform their employment systems, abolish kafala and provide more protection and decent work for migrants, especially women migrant domestic workers
3. APPEAL TO SET MULTILATERAL MIGRATION PROCESS PLATFORM: We call upon sending and receiving countries to set up a multilateral platform to establish a mutually acceptable migration framework with Covid19 sensitive training to provide more safety for the migrants, with Labour attaches to provide oversight in receiving countries.
4. PERSECUTE HUMAN TRAFFICKERS AND SMUGGLERS: We call for serious persecution for human smugglers and human traffickers who tend to exacerbate kafala experiences for the maids and to create more awareness on legal Migration at community levels to eliminate human trafficking.
5. TRAIN AND APPROVE NON KAFALA DECENT JOBS OVERSEAS OR PROVIDE DECENT LOCAL JOBS: We call upon African Governments to send their citizens into non kafala decent work systems only and to train and provide local job opportunities for their young women to have more employment options locally inorder not to EVER AGAIN, feel pressed to migrate to slave-like work anywhere!
Today: Asie Kabuki is counting on you
Asie Kabuki Ocansey needs your help with “Pan African Parliament : #ENDDEADLYWORK”. Join Asie Kabuki and 791 supporters today.