NATIONAL DATABASE NEEDED!
Prescription drug abuse has never been higher. They are called "controlled substances" but in reality they are so out of control we are losing the fight against drug abuse. The biggest drug dealers are not who they seem. They are drug companies, insurance companies (paying these claims), pharmacies, pharmacists, doctors, taking advantage of the most vulnerable. Our tax dollars are paying for these drugs (while many patients are on social services) and without any control, patients are allowed to doctor shop and jump from one pharmacy to another. Our tax dollars are hit once again while filling our jails with prescription drug abusers. Why, when you try to buy cold medicine you must give your credentials and have your driver's license swiped. However, when picking up oxycontin or xanax for someone.... nobody asks you who you are. There is something so wrong with this system and it must be STOPPED. I watched the system first hand and have dealt with this horrendous problem for over 7 years when a family member became addicted to prescription drugs after a serious burn injury. Help is limited when it comes to drug rehabs (especially when the person is sick). Drug rehabs will not house a physically sick abusert, hospitals just prescribe more drugs and send you home leaving the only place left - JAIL. What is wrong with this country? This is what I saw:
1. Doctors (not all) are very willing to give controlled substances and never even ask if the patient if he/she has a history of drug abuse or addiction problems. Doctors are not required to explain how addicting the drugs can be once you start taking them.
2. Even when I explained to doctors about the drug abuse for my family member, I was told..."put him out of your house because he will bring crime into your home". What is that? Doctors are not held accountable once they hand over that prescription. They are not mandated to help you get off the drugs once you are hooked.
3. Drug companies are making a killing on killing our young. Many of these drugs should be outlawed completely. Xanax and Oxycontin are hijacking our country. Why is it that marijuana is illegal in most states? I never heard of anyone overdosing on pot. Maybe because the drug companies will lose out on the addicts they have created when they turn to something that can be grown anywhere.
4. There is no way to track or stop doctor and pharmacy shopping. Hasn't this country ever heard of a database?
5. We need better rehabs that will house not only the addicts but those also with physical injuries. Jail should not be the only option (since they have a medical department) for the addicts who simply went to the doctor for a backache or were seriously injured in an accident became addicts and abused the drugs and the system.
6. Medicare and Medicaid are paying for much of the drugs on our streets. The drug pushers know what pills are the most popular and cost effective. They simply go to a doctor.... fill the prescription.... and sell these drugs on our streets.
7. Insurance companies paying out for the claims for these drugs can easily put in place in their database when too many pills are getting prescribed to one patient while they doctor and pharmacy shop.
8. Who will stop this madness? It is not just celebrities that are dying from "prescription drug abuse". It is our society dying slowly day by day and I am sick of sitting back, watching and thinking there is nothing that can be done.
THERE IS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE DONE. LET US STOP THIS MADNESS. GET IN TOUCH WITH YOUR GOVERNOR, CONGRESSMAN AND SENATOR AND LET THEM KNOW THE COUNTRY NEEDS A DATABASE AND SYSTEM IN PLACE TO TRACK UNCONTROLLED CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES. THANK YOU.
Cynthia Barootjian-Hunker started this petition with a single signature, and now has 60 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.