- Oregon Governor
Deny the creation of a Confined Disposal Facility at Terminal 4.
We the undersigned ask the Oregon State Land Board and state leaders to deny any request submitted for the purchase of submerged community-owned lands in or adjacent to the Willamette River at Port of Portland's Terminal 4 intended for the creation of a superfund confined disposal facility (CDF) or toxic waste dump in North Portland. We further reject the use of a confined disposal facility for the reasons:
• North Portland is host to a garbage dump and sewage waste site and should not be considered for a toxic waste dumpsite, also known as a CDF*, as a matter of equity (*confined disposal facility).
• The proposed dirt berm separating the toxic waste dump at T-4 from the Willamette River has not been proven to withstand major earthquakes or floods and a breech could re-contaminate the river and surrounding land.
• Highly toxic pollutants will seep into the river through the berm and continue to affect both animal and human health.
• Residential communities with toxic pollutants nearby have been shown in studies to have negative health effects including shortened life spans.
• There is some evidence that pollutants such as PCBs may become airborne and affect areas near the river causing negative health impacts on North Portlanders.
• We ask instead that efforts at T-4 be directed to protect sturgeon habitat at the site and restore off-channel habitat for sturgeon, salmon and other native fish and wildlife. We believe there is a unique opportunity to protect and restore additional habitat for native fish populations.
- Oregon Governor
I ask that the Oregon State Land Board deny the sale of submerged land at the Port of Portland's Terminal 4 for the creation of a Confined Disposal Facility to hold contaminated dredge from the Willamette River. The site should be restored for native fish habitat instead of being further destroyed.
Jim Robison started this petition with a single signature, and now has 291 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Jim is counting on you
Jim Robison needs your help with “Oregon State Land Board: Deny the creation of a Confined Disposal Facility at Terminal 4.”. Join Jim and 290 supporters today.