Repeal JEFFERSON DAVIS HIGHWAY designation - Orange County NC
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
This petition seeks to remove the name "Jefferson Davis National Highway" from highway 15-501 in Orange County, NC.
Honoring Jefferson Davis, a figure who represents the culture of racism and human exploitation that fueled the American Civil War, is in direct conflict with the values of a community that:
- believes in the worth and dignity of each person
- wishes to maintain a climate of acceptance and good will for all
History and Significance:
- The section of 15-501 that travels through Orange County was named as part of the "Jefferson Davis National Highway" in 1959 by unanimous vote of the Orange County Board of Commissioners.
- The road was named at the request of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC), a private group whose stated mission is to honor Confederate military service and civilian support during the American Civil War.
- The UDC erected hundreds of public monuments and sought to form a roadway to honor Jefferson Davis, the President of the Confederacy during the Civil War (1861-1865).
- Although the UDC claimed their mission was one of benevolence, there is ample evidence that the group openly supported white supremacist efforts throughout the South to suppress and terrorize people of color and other marginalized populations.
By signing this petition, you are indicating that:
1) you are a FULL-TIME RESIDENT of ORANGE COUNTY, NC
2) you support the repeal the Orange County Board resolution (1959) that designated highway 15-501 as "Jefferson Davis National Highway" within county borders.
*****please, do not sign if you are not a resident of Orange County, NC *****
The petition will be filed with the Orange County government offices before the end of August 2018.
The link below shows a current outline of the petition language, along with some supporting information on history and policy
Today: one person + one typewriter is counting on you
one person + one typewriter needs your help with “Orange County Board of Commissioners: Repeal JEFFERSON DAVIS HIGHWAY designation - Orange County NC”. Join one person + one typewriter and 62 supporters today.