OPD End Racial Profiling!
OPPOSE THE HIRING OF WILLIAM BRATTON! Oakland deserves to be a safe city for all people. William Bratton's policing models encourage police violence, disproportionately target young Black and Brown men, and are not effective crime reduction strategies. We need solutions for Oakland by Oaklanders.
Please sign ASAP; if you represent a community organization, please add your group's endorsement in the box above the red "SIGN" button. Join us on Tuesday 1/22/13 @ 5:30 pm to tell City Council that we reject William Bratton and his unconstitutional and discriminatory policies.
- Mayor Quan, City Administrator Santana, Oakland City Councilmembers
Organizations and residents strongly oppose the hiring of William Bratton. The community demands the right to be heard and to participate in the decision-making process to create real solutions to problems in Oakland neighborhoods.
WE OPPOSE THE HIRING OF BRATTON BECAUSE:
1. ZERO TOLERANCE POLICIES DEPEND UPON THE USE OF RACIAL PROFILING & ENCOURAGE POLICE VIOLENCE, AS DOCUMENTED BY THE NYCLU. “STOP AND FRISK” DISPROPORTIONATELY TARGETS BLACK & BROWN MALES.
• Bratton’s track record in major cities has resulted in unconstitutional and discriminatory policing which disproportionately impacts marginalized communities such as youth, houseless people, LGBT and people with disabilities, immigrants, and women, but particularly young Black and Brown males.
• An element of the New York Police Department’s stop-and-frisk practice was deemed unconstitutional by a federal judge on Tuesday, January 8, 2013.
• The City of Oakland cannot afford the lawsuits that will follow this type of policing model.
• Bratton supports CompStat but this is already in place in Oakland. We need crime analysts for this to be effective, not Bratton. Unless he’s going to provide clerical support, there is nothing for him to do in this arena.
• These practices are an outrage and do not promote public safety.
2. THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILITY OR TRANSPARENCY
• City residents and organizations were not consulted at any point in this process. By empowering Santana to independently respond to OPD requests, the city is attempting, yet again, to bypass a regular procedure of creating a job and accepting applications to fill the position. This undermines the public process.
• City Administrator Santana controls the narrative without regard for the real stakeholders when she is allowed to hire and contract at will, with little to no oversight.
• It is not clear who answers to whom in the web of public safety titles.
3. UNDERMINES THE NEGOTIATED SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT
• Since police abuse of residents is one of the main unresolved reforms which the Federal court is demanding, why would Oakland bring in another person whose policies tend toward profiling and abuse?
• Commit to Judge Henderson's recommendations. How many plans exist to reform the OPD? Which plan will be prioritized and enforced?
4. IT IS POSSIBLE TO REDUCE VIOLENT CRIME IN OAKLAND BY THE WISDOM, THE ORGANIZATION, AND THE ACTIONS OF OAKLANDERS
• Oakland succeeded in reducing homicides by a total of 40% between the years of 2006-2011. One reason was the intense involvement of many sections of the community. (See City web site for statistics: 148 homicides in 2005, 90 homicides at 2010 with decreases every year in between).
• There are many better uses of $250,000. The best public safety policy is a “cease poverty” strategy which includes local jobs and reentry dollars to indigenous community organizations.
In summation: Refuse to rubber stamp this unwise, costly and ill-conceived decision that was arrived at without any community dialogue, outreach or support. Hiring Bratton, whose career has made him a lightning rod of controversy, cannot possibly be helpful as we are trying to come into compliance with the Negotiated Settlement Agreement, reduce violence, and bring the entire community together to lower the crime rate.
We urge you to be thoughtful and courageous: represent the community over the recommendation of OPD and your Staff.
Oakland Equity Project started this petition with a single signature, and now has 211 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Oakland Equity Project is counting on you
Oakland Equity Project needs your help with “OPD End Racial Profiling!”. Join Oakland Equity Project and 210 supporters today.