Opt-in Straw Policy at Olive Garden Nationwide
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
We would like Olive Garden to adopt an opt-in straw policy where they do not put straws in drinks or on the table without a customer request.
By 2050, there will be more plastic than fish in the world's oceans. While we can't solve all the world's problems by simply curbing our plastic use, we can make a significant impact as a city by creating a culture in our full-service restaurants where we get "Straws Upon Request."
What is the problem with straws?
- Roughly 500 million disposable straws are used by Americans daily (some argue this is actually a LOW estimate!).
- Straws were ranked the seventh most common piece of trash collected in 2017 on global beaches by volunteer cleanup crews associated with the Ocean Conservancy, a marine environmental advocacy group.
- Disposable straws are usually made from plastic and plastic never breaks down. As time goes by plastic will separate into smaller and smaller pieces, but never completely biodegrades (this makes its way into the bodies of our marine life and then into our food system as microplastics).
- This is an easy change to make that has the potential for a much larger impact.
Please sign this petition if you are a person who:
- Doesn't want a straw automatically plopped in your drink when you're out dining.
- Wants the option to bring their own reusable straw or drink straight from the glass (gasp!).
- Would like to see people come together to curb plastic usage in restaurants by implementing a "Straws Upon Request" policy (ideally offering a paper or reusable straw alternative).
*Note: This is not a request for an outright plastic straw ban. We understand that persons with disabilities often need a straw (and it seems that, right now, plastic straws are often the best and safest option) - this is why we believe restaurants should adopt a "Straws Upon Request" policy and still have straws available for those who need them.
Want to do more?
Write a letter to Olive Garden using their online form and be sure to reference this petition so they can see the force behind the movement.
Today: Candice is counting on you
Candice Larence needs your help with “Olive Garden: Opt-in Straw Policy at Olive Garden Nationwide”. Join Candice and 58 supporters today.