Paralyzed. Speechless. Blind. A stroke doesn’t have to end this way.
Far too many Ohioans are disabled from stroke because they do not get needed treatment in time. Timely treatment can mean the difference between returning to work or becoming permanently disabled, living at home or living in a nursing home. It can be the difference between life and death.
Urge your legislators to support House Bill 427, stroke legislation that will help ensure our stroke victims get the right treatment at the right time, no matter where they live in Ohio.
Far too many people in Ohio die or are disabled from stroke because they do not get lifesaving treatment. Timely treatment can mean the difference between returning to work or becoming permanently disabled, living at home or living in a nursing home. It can be the difference between life and death.
With better coordination, we can quickly get patients to the best care and resources available for them, wherever they are in Ohio. House Bill 427 seeks to do this by:
1. Basing the system on the national program to recognize stroke hospitals;
2. Ongoing evaluation of the stroke system to determine successes and ways to improve outcomes through a stroke registry and regular system updates;
3. Encouraging hospitals to engage in performance improvement activities;
4. Adopting standard protocols for emergency medical services to assess and triage stroke patients; and
5. Coordinating, cooperating and collaborating to equip, train and support EMS and hospitals in their efforts to build capacity, knowledge and capability to provide the best possible care to stroke patients.
I urge you to support HB 427 when it comes before you for a vote.
American Heart Association Great Rivers Affiliate started this petition with a single signature, and now has 2,647 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.