Oakland Swimming Pools for Summer 2018
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
In the 70's , Swimming was a Vital Resource available in All of our Neighborhoods in Oakland, there were 8 Swimming Pools that served Children and Families. Today those same Pools exist, only half are closed do to lack of Leadership by the City and School District to make sure this important resource is available to our children. Our Goal is to get these Pools back open and see that they have Programs throughout the year to serve our Children and Families of All Oakland Neighboorhoods. The School District that own (2) Pools (Castlemont and McClymonds) and the City of Oakland thru Parks and Recreation that own 6 Pools (East Oakland Sports Center, Fremont Pool, Lions Pool, Live Oak Pool, Defermery Pool, Temescal Pool).
1) East Oakland Sports Center - Open
2) Castlemont Pool - No Community Program
3) Fremont Pool - No Community Program
4) Live Oak - No Community Program
5) Lions - Open
6) McClymonds - No Community Program
7) Defermery - No Community Program
8) Temescal - Open
1) The CDC lists Drowning as the Leading cause of accidental Death amongst Children beneath the age of 13.
2) Children of Color are (3) times more likely to Drown than White Children
3) Swimming is an excellent resource for Children during the Summer months especially as a productive outlet during the warm Summer to prevent them from doing less productive things.
4) Swimming is an excellent Excercise and a path to stay in good Health for Life
5) Youth Employment Opportunities as Pool and Lifeguard Staff
We at East Oakland Swim Club have been fighting for this Resource since 2010. We have been successful in getting Castlemont Pool reopened after 10 years of being closed.
Through our Learn to Swim Program over the last 8 years -
1) we have taught well over 3500 Children and Families to learn to Swim
2) Developed, Trained and Hired (22) High School Lifeguards for the Program starting at $15 per hour.
3) The last (3) years have had the most expansive Recreational and Learn to Swim Class in the City of Oakland, average attendance of 160 -200 during our Summer Program June thru August. All Free!
Raising Funds for the Program has been difficult. The Politics and apathy from the City and School District has been difficult. Fremont, Castlemont, and McClymonds had been closed for a decade prior to our Campaign. We ask for your support in signing this petition as we prepare to work with the City of Oakland and the School District to Provide (1) Department of Swimming that makes sure we have these resources available to our children and community consistently, and Continually throughout the year. Oakland can take leadership in this for our Community. Please Help and thank you. Sincerely, East Oakland Swim Club
Today: East Oakland Swim Club is counting on you
East Oakland Swim Club needs your help with “Oakland City Council: Oakland Swimming Pools for Summer 2018”. Join East Oakland Swim Club and 409 supporters today.