Oakgrove needs an outdoor Community space suitable for all
This petition had 362 supporters
What do you want Crest Nicholson, the Parks Trust and MK Council to do?
Change the existing plan 16/02884/FUL for a BMX track to an outdoor community space suitable (including disability access) for all Oakgrove residents and visitors
Why is this important?
- Oakgrove does not have any outdoor community space suitable for all or for community activities. Previous plans stated otherwise
- Oakgrove does not have appropriate outdoor facilities for all to play
- Oakgrove residents were not actively consulted in the planning process for the BMX track
- A preference for the proposed BMX track site to be established as a general open space/ball play area, with a kick-wall/basketball hoop-type feature
- Oakgrove estate was sold and marketed to residents on the basis of the MK vision for family living – this is currently not available to the standard of other MK estates
- A large percentage of Oakgrove Residents bought into the Oakgrove vision for family living
- We have a large percentage of flats on Oakgrove - a large percentage of which have families with no outdoor space
- We have a large percentage of affordable family housing and social family housing that need free accessible local facilities
- A general level of dissatisfaction with the play areas in the Oakgrove development exists amongst residents
- Other BMX tracks exist in MK. There have been anti-social issues at these BMX tracks resulting in police action and these being closed
- Both current play areas are right next to main grid roads and water and are not suitable for all ages. Concerns about water safety for unsupervised children with the proximity of open water for both local play areas and the river in the Ouzel Valley
- The play areas have uneven surfaces that cause minor accidents
- The play areas are not designed to cater for disability
- Concerns about anti-social behavior from older children/young people who are mis-using some of the open spaces and vandalising some features - preventing appropriate use
- Currently children are playing ball in the road, in carparks and in play areas (making these play areas unusable) this is a health and safety issue
- There is no local play area for a kick-about or run-about space suitable for all ages
- Dissatisfaction with the layout of the Neighbourhood play area next to Harvard Way/Hanson Avenue. This is viewed as too ‘crammed-in’ and the layout of the site in two separately-fenced zones causes logistical difficulties for parents supervising two or more children who want to play in both areas at the same time.
- Limited community space we have does not provide for our community
- There is nowhere for children to explore that is away from water – the land allocated for the BMX track is the only space left to have outdoor community space suitable for all
Today: Steve is counting on you
Steve Corbet needs your help with “Oakgrove needs an outdoor Community space suitable for all”. Join Steve and 361 supporters today.