Right Size the 198!
We, the community, request the Scajaquada Boulevard be redesigned with needs of all citizens considered and in tandem with our city and statewide Complete Streets policy.
NYSDOT's current proposed designs do not fulfill this request. We oppose the designs based on the following:
- The lack of a meaningful and engaging public input process while NYSDOT ignores multiple submissions by community organizations with constructive recommendations;
- Prioritization of vehicle traffic over the safety of vulnerable users through:
- Over-sized intersections that will make crossings unsafe for pedestrians and bicyclists;
- Medians throughout the corridor at the expense of park space and on-street bicycle facilities;
- The lack of dedicated bike facilities;
- Adverse impacts upon the Historic Olmsted Park and Parkway System as well as the surrounding cultural and educational institutions and business districts; and
- The plan’s limited scope, including the absence of addressing impacted communities west of Grant Street and east of Parkside Avenue.
Before we support any plan to transform the Scajaquada corridor, NYSDOT needs to address the community's priorities and demonstrate this project will have a positive impact upon economic development, public health, environmental sustainability and the quality of life of all residents.
We do not support a highway through our park. We will not allow the Scajaquada Boulevard to disconnect our communities any longer.
Create an accessable, safe Scajaquada Boulevard
Scajaquada Corridor Coalition started this petition with a single signature, and now has 632 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.