Reject Regional Government in New York State
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
WE, THE PEOPLE, REJECT REGIONAL GOVERNMENT IN NEW YORK STATE:
- The Regional Economic Development Councils (REDC) were unilaterally established by Governor Cuomo in 2011 without any authority to do so.
- In addition, and more importantly, the REDCs were created without any input, knowledge or consent of the citizens of New York State.
- Regional Government erases local sovereignty and local control. Voices of citizens are silenced and power is transferred to unelected bureaucrats.
- The REDCs do not have the same scrutiny as elected officials; nor are they subject to the same transparency as elected officials.
- Since 2011, the Governor has had the unauthorized and unrestricted ability to appoint individuals, who report to the Governor, and are not accountable to the citizens of New York State.
- These appointees are not subject to the financial disclosure requirements of the Public Officers Law.
- There is no means of ensuring that these individuals are serving the best interests of the State, and not engaging in self-serving activities.
- Members of the REDC are not subject to the Code of Ethics, nor is there a way to ascertain that they are acting in the best interest of the State and citizens.
- Members of the REDC have been awarded money from the REDC, without any public scrutiny, which we believe is a conflict of interest.
- From 2011-2015 alone, the Governor appropriated nearly $3 billion dollars of our tax money to these REDCs.
- The public cannot trust that their tax dollars are being allocated in a manner that best serves the public interest.
- We believe that the REDC is an unconstitutional form of government.
We, the signers of this Petition, reject regional government and request that the REDCs be completely disbanded from operating in New York State and that power be restored to the proper elected officials and to the people of the State of New York.
This petition will be delivered to the NYS Senate & Assembly
Today: New Yorkers Against Regional Government is counting on you
New Yorkers Against Regional Government needs your help with “NYS Senate; NYS Assembly: Reject Regional Government in New York State”. Join New Yorkers Against Regional Government and 166 supporters today.