Stop the Sanitation Department from putting New Yorkers' health and safety at risk!
This petition had 1,547 supporters
Sign here to join the more than 50,000 area residents who oppose the NYC Sanitation Department's plan to build a 450K sq ft garbage truck garage and maintenance facility on 25th Street between the FDR and 1st Ave. This plan violates Mayor de Blasio's Vision Zero initiative and compromises the health and safety of neighborhood residents and those seeking care at Bellevue, NYU Langone and the VA Hospitals.
Traffic and pedestrian safety, air quality, and hospital access will all be significantly compromised. This is a bad idea, the wrong plan at the wrong location. Here's why:
- The Gramercy-Murray Hill area has the worst air quality in Manhattan, 18% over federal standards. Adding the pollution from operating, fueling and servicing 180 diesel-fueled Sanitation vehicles daily is an unacceptable health risk.
- Pedestrian safety will be compromised -- the Sanitation Department has the second highest accident and fatality driving record of all city agencies.
- 1st Avenue between 23rd and 34th Street is already very congested; further Increases in traffic will delay emergency response time of ambulances going to the hospitals in the area. Traffic density is already at 300% of the Manhattan average in the Gramercy-Murray Hill neighborhood.
- Sanitation has not meaningfully analyzed alternatives as is required by law.
- The garage footprint is too large for the area and is a violation of the current zoning.
Photo credit: Brookdale No! Facebook page
Today: Brookdale Neighborhood is counting on you
Brookdale Neighborhood Coalition needs your help with “NYC Mayor de Blasio, Sanitation Commissioner Garcia, and other elected officials: Stop Sanitation Department from putting New Yorkers' health and safety at risk!”. Join Brookdale Neighborhood and 1,546 supporters today.