Return Bungle the imprisoned Chow pup to his family #FreeBungle

Recent news

Victory! Bungle - Freed

Thanks to everyone who has signed our petition for the release of Bungle, the pup who was imprisoned for nipping the hand of a police officer. We are pleased to announce that Bungle is free to go home to his loving family after common sense prevailed at Northamptonshire Police HQ. This could have ended tragically but thanks to your support it did not. Let’s all keep up the fight for all dogs wrongly imprisoned. Northamptonshire Police said: A Chow dog that was seized by officers under the Dangerous Dogs Act, after biting an officer twice, has been returned to its owners who have agreed to a Voluntary Control Order (VCO) and have been cooperative throughout. A specialist dog handler met with the family this evening and having assessed the conditions and obtained agreement on the VCO, established that the dog could be returned. It is the responsibility of all dog owners to ensure their pets are under control and don’t present a danger to the wider public at any time. Chief Superintendent Chris Hillery, said: “We understand that the actions taken on this occasion have generated significant public opinion on the proportionality of the officer’s actions. To be absolutely clear I fully support the officers’ actions in this case, the dog was unattended in a live carriageway and was aggressive to those present resulting in the officer being bitten and receiving injuries that required hospital attention “In addition the decision made by the officer was in the context of some very real and serious cases involving dog bites that have resulted in serious life changing injuries and even death locally and nationally. This accords with ensuring we protect people from harm. “The potential risk posed by the dog at that time is not diminished by its age or that it was frightened. Having already bitten the officer twice, causing puncture wounds and bruising, it would have been negligent to release a dog displaying such obvious aggression, regardless of the cause, without first ensuring both the dog’s and the wider publics’ safety. “I fully support the decision of the officer at the time and the risk assessment process that has followed the seizure and subsequent return of the dog. “The investigation into the safety of the dog is a process we take very seriously and is carried out by trained officers and rightly this takes time. Once the owners were identified, we maintained contact with them throughout, updating them regularly on the process. We arranged a time, at their convenience, to meet and discuss arrangements for the dogs’ return, which is now complete. “In no way was this decision impacted by the media reporting. Having gone through a proportionate investigation and risk assessment, the dog has been returned with appropriate conditions to manage any future risk. “I would like to thank the officers and staff who have worked professionally on this matter. In particular a dog officer who worked late into the evening yesterday to expedite the risk assessment and return the dog to its family as soon as possible. Finally, I can report the officer who was bitten is recovering well."

Karen Smith
2 years ago