NORTH SHORE SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES PLAN CORRUPTED BY DEPARTMENT OF PLANNING AND PERMITTING
1) The North Shore Sustainable Communities Plan (NSSCP) Draft Document has
been altered by David Tanoue, Acting Director of Planning and Permitting
Department (DPP) and is inconsistent with the comments and work
contributions submitted by the majority of the NSSCP Planning Advisory
Committee (PAC) members and the North Shore Community at large.
2) The changes put in the final NSSCP draft would allow for multiple hotels
to be built on the North Shore without the necessity of Resort Zoning.
3). We object to the paradoxical use of the faulty reasoning which is used
to support the "conditional use permit alternative" (giving authority for
hotel authorization to one Department head). The blanket statement "resort
zoning is not appropriate for the North Shore" is meaningless if it is used
as rationale to open all of Haleiwa to unlimited resorts through the
issuance of permits.
4) We object to the term Country-Inn being replaced with the term "Visitor
5) We object to removing the room cap of 40 rooms for "Country-Inn, Hotel or
6) We object to the allowance for hotel developers to obtain a Conditional
Use Permit instead of seeking re-zoning to Resort Zoning for a "Country-Inn,
Hotel or Visitor Accommodations."
7) We dispute the revision by the Acting Director of DPP which states: "As
an alternative, community members support a Land Use Ordinance (LUO)
amendment to allow for a discretionary permit - such as a Conditional Use
Permit (Major) with criteria specific to the North Shore country inn to
8) We are asking the City & County of Honolulu to set aside this document
and it's current deadline for comments and send it back to NSSCP PAC
meetings for additional revision before it proceeds to the Planning
Commission and/or the City Council for final consideration.