- Members of the boardNorth London Waste Authority (NLWA)
North London Waste Authority (NLWA): Don't contract companies who have no regards for international law
North London Waste Authority (NWLA) has short listed Veolia with contracts worth 4.7 billion pounds over the next 30 years. This money would be paid by the tax payers who live in Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Hackney, Harringey, Islington and Waltham Forest.
So what the problem with that?
Veolia has a 5 per cent share in the CityPass consortium, through its subsidiary Connex Israel, which was contracted by Israel to operate the light rail project in Jerusalem. The light rail is designed to connect the city of Jerusalem with Israel’s illegal settlements. Veolia owns approximately 80 per cent of Connex Jerusalem, the company that operates the trains. Furthermore, through its subsidiary company, the Israeli Veolia group, Veolia owns and operates the Tovlan landfill in the Jordan Valley of the occupied Palestinian territory. The Tovlan landfill is used to dump Israeli waste from both within Israel and Israeli settlements. Veolia furthermore operates buses linking Modi’in and Jerusalem via road 443 and thereby servicing the Israeli settlements of Giv’at Ze’ev and Mevo Horon. All these activities directly contribute to flagrant violations of international law.
This petition is not about the conflict in the Middle East this is about our taxpayers funding a company that directly violates international law and infringes the human rights on ordinary Palestinians.
Richard Falk – United Nations Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories in a letter to NWLA has said “corporations and non-State actors (such as Veolia) play an instrumental role in Israel’s belligerent occupation of Palestinian territory and the infringements on the human rights of Palestinians and that public authorities and civil society must take actions to hold complicit corporations to account.”
So we ask?
- Why swell the profits of a company which flouts International Law?
- Why is a British publicly-funded Authority ignoring the UN request not to assist the illegal settlements?
- Why does the NLWA also ignore the British Government position regarding the illegal settlements that “a company may be excluded from a tender exercise... where a company ... has committed an act of grave professional misconduct in the course of their business or profession?
- Why does the NLWA hide behind flimsy pretexts, such as that Veolia in the UK is a different company to that aiding and abetting war crimes, when Veolia themselves have admitted that it operates as a single worldwide entity?
Sign this petition today so our tax payers money is not filling up the pockets of greedy multinationals who have no respect for human rights or international law.
- North London Waste Authority (NLWA)
Members of the board
As residents of the boroughs of Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Hackney, Harringey, Islington and Waltham Forest. We ask you not to use our taxes to contract Veolia for the next 30 years.
Any company who has no respect for human rights and international law, have no right to profit from UK local authorities and the tax payer.
Nadeem Javaid started this petition with a single signature, and now has 32 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Nadeem is counting on you
Nadeem Javaid needs your help with “North London Waste Authority (NLWA): Don't contract companies who have no regards for international law”. Join Nadeem and 31 supporters today.