In 2012, more than 3,000 drivers per day ignored North Carolina's "School Bus Stop Law" that prohibits vehicles from passing a stopped school bus. North Carolina's General Statute currently specifies the following for drivers who violate this law:
* The driver will be charged with a Class 2 misdemeanor
* If convicted, five points will be assessed against the individual's license
* A fine of $200
This is not enough. Passing a stopped school bus can result in tragic consequences, including serious injury or death. We are calling for North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory and our state legislature to pass proposed legislation we've named the "School Bus Student Transportation Onboard Protection (School Bus STOP) Act", which would specify the following safety measure and penalties:
* Retrofitting all existing, operational school buses with a second extendable stop arm at the rear of the bus
* Requiring stop arms at both the front and rear of all new school buses
* Increased fines to $500 for the first violation, $750 for the second violation, and $1000 for subsequent violations
* An automatic six-month license suspension for any driver passing a school bus that is stopped with its lights flashing and stop arm(s) extended
* Increased license suspension periods for repeat violators
North Carolina's children should not have to fear for their lives when trying to board or exit school buses. Please join in the fight to prevent future tragedies by signing this petition urging Governor Pat McCrory and North Carolina state legislators to strengthen penalties for drivers that pass properly stopped school buses
Please protect North Carolina's children by strengthening penalties for drivers who pass stopped school buses. Please adopt the NC School Bus STOP Act now.
Melissa Drozdowski started this petition with a single signature, and now has 597 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.