Nominate President Uhuru Kenyatta for Nobel Peace Prize
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
President Uhuru Kenyatta, the current president of the Republic of Kenya has been credited for upholding the rule of law and promoting democracy in Kenya that has kept Kenya as an island of peace in a region prone with conflicts.
Among his achievements are:
1. Supporting Kenya's new Constitution and the Rule of Law - The president has promoted the new constitution promulgated in 2010 and has promoted the use of institutions in governance. It is under his leadership that devolved structures in the country such as the creation of new counties were undertaken. The president, unlike other African leaders, agreed to subject himself for a second election after the country's Supreme Court annulled the first election held in August 2017 despite being declared the winner by the country's electoral agency.
2. Promotion of Regional Peace - President Uhuru Kenyatta has been very instrumental in promoting peace in countries such as Somalia and South Sudan.
3. Promoting National Peace and Reconciliation - President Uhuru Kenyatta has ensured that there is peace in the country after the 2017 hotly contested presidential election by embracing peace initiatives with the country's main opposition leader Mr. Raila Odinga. The formation and gazettement of an all-inclusive "Building Bridges Initiative" by the president to ensure that there is peace in Kenya deserves great recognition.
4. Sharing of Oil Revenues with the local Communities - The President has ensured that peace and dialogue prevails in the petroleum oil conflict with the Turkana community where vast oil reserves have been discovered by ensuring that the community's views are taken into consideration in the sharing of the revenues from the oil resources. Other African leaders would have launched massive military operations against the community to protect the oil fields but the president instead chose peace and dialogue. The discovery of natural resources, especially oil and valuable minerals in Africa has led wars and destruction of entire communities. The use of non-violent means to ensure that natural resources benefit communities is a tremendous step in resource sharing that needs to be emulated by other countries in Africa as African countries explore their vast natural resources.
5. Saving the Environment
President Uhuru Kenyatta has taken great steps to save the county’s forests through eviction of persons who have destroyed the country’s major forests especially the Mau forest complex. This shall lead to better lives for both human beings and the many fauna and flora which thrive on the rivers flowing out of the Mau forest complex and the entire Mau ecosystem.
It is also important to note that there is a great relationship between the environment and peaceful coexistence among communities since environmental problems such as resource scarcity and climate change are likely to create or exacerbate conflict.
7. Fighting Corruption and Impunity – President Uhuru Kenyatta has taken a bold step to slay corruption and impunity in the country. The recent unprecedented arrest and prosecution of senior government officials formerly thought to be sacred cows has sent shockwaves across the entire government not only in Kenya but also in the entire African region.
A corrupt-free Kenya, and Africa in general, shall ensure improved lives and a better future for the country and the continent at large.
8. Promotion of Education for all - President Uhuru Kenyatta has ensured that there is free education in public primary and secondary schools in Kenya.
Today: Edwin is counting on you
Edwin Kemboi needs your help with “Nobel Peace : Nominate President Uhuru Kenyatta for Nobel Peace Prize”. Join Edwin and 307 supporters today.