No to London, Ont becoming a Sanctuary City
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
We the residents of London, Ontario demand that Mayor Matt Brown and the rest of City Council put an end to the call for our city becoming a sanctuary for illegal immigrants.
A sanctuary city is a safe haven for illegal immigrants — those that are not granted permission to stay in Canada and gives them access to municipal services. It also means that the city’s local police will not participate in enforcing federal immigration laws.
On Jan. 30, council unanimously backed a call to make London a sanctuary city, just one day after the Quebec mosque shooting and in response to the Trump moratorium on immigration from seven countries that are predominantly Muslim.
Here are some of the reasons why London, Ontario should not become a sanctuary city:
- Canada and the United States are both signatories to the Safe Third Country Agreement. Under the terms of the treaty, any refugees seeking asylum in either state must claim protection in the country in which they first arrived. Therefore, the motion that was passed by council is contrary to this international agreement.
- The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) says that nearly half of the illegal immigrants who have snuck across the Canada-United States border were detained because of serious criminal records. That includes crimes like, theft, assault, manslaughter, dangerous driving, driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol and possession of or trafficking in drugs or controlled substances. Since the CBSA is under-resourced, there unofficial ports of entry that are not monitored where illegals are smuggled into Canada and will come to sanctuary cities such as London.
- Supporters of this idea need to realize that your intentions may be great but that doesn't mean that it is practical. Our human desires are unlimited, but resources are scarce. Canada can’t take care of everyone in the world. We have plenty of problems at home that we need to address. Let’s not break the bank.
- First things first, our labour force participation and employment rate is below the provincial and national average. There are more than 35,000 people in the London area that are living in extreme poverty. Over 8000 children are suffering from poverty here at home. Aside from a mental health and addiction crisis, we have an HIV epidemic with a record-breaking 58 new diagnoses in 2016.
- An illegal immigrant that comes into London cannot participate in the labour force legally and doing so is in breach of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. They need a work permit which is granted through a social insurance number. The only way to get a social insurance number is to be legally permitted into Canada.
- It is dangerous even for the illegal immigrants because they can get abused and they could get exploited for reasons that we will never know since they are undocumented. Sanctuary cities in other jurisdictions have become destinations for human trafficking. Illegal immigrants are trafficked for the purposes of sexual and labor exploitation. Some of these victims are lured from their homes with false promises of well-paying jobs; instead, they are forced or coerced into prostitution, domestic servitude, farm or factory labor or other types of forced labor.
- A sanctuary city is an insult to all those who have gone through the legal immigration process or who are waiting to be admitted to Canada legally. It is simply unfair.
- This is sending a message to the world that London, Ontario is satisfied with people breaking the law to come to Canada and not only that, the city will let you get away with it. These laws were put into place for a reason. Without them, we will crumble under the weight of ourselves.
- The federal government just released a report that indicates more than 300 foreign terrorists, spies and criminals tried to sneak into Canada last year and were found inadmissible due to national security concerns? In fact, a total of 1.4 million visa applications were rejected with the common reason being that the person applying was not being truthful. Knowing that, why would we risk the security of this city?
- According to the 2016 Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations Field Offices (ERO) report, "The enactment of numerous state statutes and local ordinances reducing and/or preventing cooperation with ICE, in addition to federal court decisions which created liability concerns for cooperating law enforcement agencies, led an increasing number of jurisdictions to decline to honour immigration detainers. ERO documented a total of 21,205 declined detainers in 567 counties in 48 states including the District of Columbia between January 1, 2014, and September 30, 2016. Declined detainers result in convicted criminals being released back into U.S. communities with the potential to re-offend, notwithstanding ICE’s requests for transfer of those individuals. Moreover, these releases constrain ICE’s civil immigration enforcement efforts because they required ICE to expend additional resources to locate and arrest convicted criminals who were at-large rather than transferred directly from jails into ICE custody, drawing resources away from other ICE enforcement efforts." These are sanctuary cities.
- Statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau, U.S. Sentencing Commission, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the Government Accountability Office, the Bureau of Justice Statistics and several state and county correctional departments show the estimated 11.7 million illegal immigrants, which represent 3.6 percent of the population in the U.S. accounted for 13.6 percent of all offenders sentenced for crimes committed in the U.S in 2015. Twelve percent of murder sentences, 30.2 percent of kidnapping sentences, 17.8 percent of drug trafficking sentences, 11.6 percent of fraud sentences, 10.4 percent of money laundering sentences and 21 percent of national defense sentences (i.e. evasion of export controls and exportation of arms without license). Supporters of sanctuary cities demand we open our borders and lure these criminal aliens into our community.
- Before Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that visitors from Mexico would no longer need visas to enter Canada, border officials predicted the decision would make it easier for criminals to enter the country. According to figures from the Canada Border Services Agency obtained by Global News, the number of Mexican citizens with a criminal background or security risk increased since Justin Trudeau relaxed the visa requirement on Dec. 1, 2016. In the first six months of this year, 65 Mexicans involved in "serious" crimes were identified, more than the 53 in 2016 and 28 the year before. "These individuals were drug smugglers, human smugglers, recruiters, money launderers and foot soldiers," the CBSA wrote in an intelligence report dated April 2016, two months before the visa exemption was announced.
Why some people cannot enter or remain in Canada?
According to the federal government there are a number of reasons you can be found inadmissible, denied a visa or refused entry to Canada such as:
2. Human or international rights violations
4. Organized criminality
5. Health grounds
6. Financial reasons
7. Misrepresentation or misinformation (i.e not being truthful)
8. Non-compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
9. Having an inadmissible family member
We have been told that we don’t have money for social services, and our depleted infrastructure. Yet some how we can now take care of illegal immigrants and provide a safe haven for them to operate outside the law. That although we have people living in third world conditions here at home and arguably a humanitarian crisis of our own, we can help solve all the issues in the world. It's time to get our priorities straight.
Undocumented people are to immigration, what shoplifting is to shopping. We are a nation of laws and order. There is no excuse for a city to seek ways to skirt enforcement. The concept of sanctuary city policies is in direct opposition to the rule of law.
We need to stop this. We need to stop it now.
Today: Amir is counting on you
Amir Farahi needs your help with “No to London, Ont becoming a Sanctuary City”. Join Amir and 1,161 supporters today.