This petition was started in response to an article I recently became aware of regarding the exhibit “Siegfried and Roy’s Secret Garden and Dolphin Habitat” located at the Mirage hotel and owned by MGM Grand International.
Born Free USA , WSPA and Dolphin Project have condemned this place for its claims of being a research and educational facility, while in reality it is motivated by profits. They have nicknamed it the “Dolphin Death Pool” and below you will find some information pertaining to this name.
1. We seek to get shade for the dolphins from the over 100+°F immediately.
2. We want APHIS to test the salinity and water quality and do a well-check on the dolphins in this pool.
3. We ask the Clark County School Board to stop sending students immediately to the Dolphin Habitat at the Mirage.
4. We want the Mirage to phase out dolphin shows at this hotel and to move the dolphins to a dolphin rehabilitation center.
5. We will boycott all MGM Resort properties until the Secret Garden closes the dolphin death pool.
Check out the latest video and the conditions of the dolphins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of3Dnzyu0VU
Here is a list of the dolphins that have died there since its opening in 1990:
* Rascal – age 4 – Death unknown
* Pablo – age 10 – Died from rare fungus in its lungs
* Darla – age 18 – Died from chronic pancreatitis
* Squirt – age 15 – Died from respiratory ailment
* Picabo – age 18 – Died suddenly from internal tear in its stomach
* Bugsy – age 3 – Died from pulmonary abscess
* No name – Stillborn
* No name – 2 week old calf – died from pulmonary edema
* Sigma – age 32 – Died from heart failure
* Banjo – age 32 – Died from heart failure
* Merlin – age 40 (estimate) – died from pneumonia
* Sage – age 11 – death unknown
* St. Pepper – age 2 – lung infection
The attraction states that they take excellent care of their dolphins, however it seems to us that the mortality rate of these animals is very high. We believe that these bottlenose dolphins are subject to extreme temperature changes, from extreme cold (snow flurries) to extreme arid, dry conditions and pollution from a nearby highway. The pool is located in the heart of Las Vegas and specifically next to a busy highway. If you lived next to constant gas fumes from thousands of automobiles, you’d develop respiratory problems too!
This petition proposes its readers to urge the Mirage to prepare a plan to provide shade and/or relocate the dolphins to a facility that mimics the dolphins natural environment. These creatures belong in the ocean, not in middle of the desert. If they are truly a research and educational facility they would not need to be located in the Las Vegas strip.
We understand that dolphins who are born in captivity will not be able to be released in the ocean. However, we believe that the era of marine mammal captivity for human entertainment is over. We are no longer amused with dolphins performing unnatural behaviors.
The Mirage Hotel should start phasing out their wild dolphin habitat and replace it with this: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f18_1396572778&comments=1
For the Dolphins, For the Whales, For the World!
If you have a problem signing the Petition email directly to: email@example.com
Thank you all for your support!
Please note that you may edit the letter below!
Barbara Napoles started this petition with a single signature, and now has 87,076 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.