Save the historic Squire Farmhouse in South Orange, NJ

Save the historic Squire Farmhouse in South Orange, NJ

679 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
Petition to
New Jersey Governor NJ Governor Phil Murphy and

Why this petition matters

Started by Susan Cathcart

South Orange Planning Board Set to Approve First Step to Demolition
New owners of the circa 1776 farmhouse at 167 North Ridgewood Road in South Orange, NJ have filed an application with the town Planning Board for a “minor subdivision” with the intention of demolishing the farmhouse that currently sits in the middle of the property for the purpose of building two new houses. The lot is already subdivided, they just want to change the lot lines to better accommodate the new houses, so the application will likely be approved. Since the house is not currently listed on the Historic Register, the demolition cannot be prevented unless someone of authority steps in. 
Please sign this petition calling on Governor Phil Murphy to intervene to prevent demolition of this significant symbol of New Jersey history! This is urgent: Planning Board meets February 1.
Dear Governor Murphy:
We believe it would be a shame to destroy this lovely old farmhouse with multiple connections to the history of the South Orange area - and even the American Revolution.
The house was built around 1774 by Henry Squire, a revolutionary war soldier who purchased the land from Thomas Luddington, also a Revolutionary war soldier, who had acquired it in 1686 from Edward Riggs, one of the first settlers of the Newark area, arriving from Connecticut with Captain Robert Treat. The Squire farmland ran from the top of First Mountain to the other side of what is now Ridgewood Road. Henry’s son Nathan, a successful local businessman, is credited with naming the community “South Orange.”
George Washington drank from the well in front of the farmhouse en route from Montclair to Morristown!
William Redmond purchased the Squire farm in 1850. He is credited with introducing Jersey cows to the area. He later built his mansion “Hillside” on the property, which was purchased by Orange Lawn Tennis Club in 1916 and remains its clubhouse to this day. OLTC is one of the first tennis clubs in the US; many tennis greats have played here.
Redmond leased the Squire farmhouse and the area now known as Meadowlands Park to Mr. Flood, who pastured his cows on the slope below Ridgewood Road. Today’s popular community gathering place for movies, concerts and sledding known as “Flood’s Hill” took its name from him.
The original farmhouse remained in the Redmond family until it was purchased from then 93-year old Mary Redmond Martin, a granddaughter of William Redmond, in 1988.
Please sign below to save this significant part of our local NJ history.  Thank you!

679 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!