- Roger GoodellNFL Commissioner
- Clark HuntOwner & CEO, Kansas City Chiefs
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, NFL Team Owners, NFL Coaches: Post National DV Hotline # is All NFL Stadiums
Kasandra Perkins was just one of on average three women killed that day by her partner. By posting the National Domestic Violence Hotline in all NFL stadiums for one year and by donating 30-seconds of Super Bowl time to fight DV, lives may be saved. Studies have shown that Domestic Violence spikes after NFL and other professional sports games.
- NFL Commissioner
- Owner & CEO, Kansas City Chiefs
The murder of 22 year old Kasandra Perkins was yet another reminder of just how serious the issue of intimate partner violence is in this country. Although the moment of silence held by the KS Chiefs was nice, more needs to be done to educate the public about the issue of intimate partner violence.
* Study by economist David Card and Gordon Dahl found that upset losses lead to a 10 percent increase in the rate of at-home violence by men against their wives and girlfriends.
* Close to 70% of women killed by a gun were murdered by the hand of an intimate partner.
* More than three women are murdered every day by a husband or domestic partner
*40-50% of female murder victims fall into the category of domestic/partner murder (this includes former partners)
* Three times as many women are killed by husband or intimate acquaintance as are killed by strangers using guns, knives or other weapons combined
* According to the CDC, black women have a maternal homicide risk about seven times that of white women. Black women ages 25-29 are about 11 times more likely as white women in that age group to be murdered while pregnant or in the year after childbirth.
Sadly, we've seen way too many of these women killed by professional athletes. The NFL has to do more than hang a jersey in a perpetrator's locker. More than have a minute of silence. They need to take a proactive public stance to stop it.
We would like you to post the National Domestic Violence Hotline Number prominently in all NFL stadiums, so that it is visible to every fan seated in the stands and to those watching on TV. We'd also like to ask that you donate a 30-second advertisement spot in this year's Super Bowl for domestic violence awareness. It can be focused on survivor resources or targeting men who might be abusers, where they can seek help. Choice is yours--but please act.
Karla Attia started this petition with a single signature, and now has 55 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.