24 Minutes for Her
This petition had 19 supporters
Citing a CDC report, the National Domestic Violence Hotline shares that "On average, 24 people per minute are victims of rape, physical vioence or stalking by an intimate partner in the United States - more than 12 million women and men over the course of a year." The preponderance of those affected are women.
Given current media attention on the NFL for its handling of Ray Rice's assault on his then-fiancee, now-wife Janay Rice, now is the time to act. The NFL's arrest rates for domestic assault for men ages 25-29 are extraordinary: according to the USA Today NFL Players Arrests Database, domestic violence arrests in the NFL occur at four times the rate of all other crimes players commit in total, and domestic violence arrests account for nearly half of arrests among all NFL players, compared to about a fifth of arrests nationally for men in that age group. The NFL has a domestic violence problem that it needs to address -- and not just by suspending ONE player for six games.
We ask the NFL to institute the following, immediately:
- For all games in October, which is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, institute 24 minute game delays, representative of the 24 domestic violence assaults per minute that happen in America.
- During that 24 minute delay, require all teams to air public service announcements of their own creation. Those PSAs should be supportive of domestic violence victims, highlighting real resources and real help. Encourage sponsors to fill that time with similar information and education. These 24 minutes are not about sales and marketing; they are about stopping violence against women. Encourage sports and news networks to partner with teams to focus these 24 minutes not on pre-game but, instead, on effecting real change in the tone about this issue.
- Throughout the month of October, require all players to wear the number 24 on their sleeve.
- Institute a Zero Tolerance policy for domestic violence across the board. If an NFL player commits domestic assault, his career must end. It ought to be treated like the career-ending injury that it is -- it's just an injury inflicted on someone else.
- After you sign this petition, please spread the word about this campaign, 24 Minutes for Her. Tweet @24MinutesForHer and use the following hashtags across social media: :#24toomany #stopdv #24perminute #zerotolerance #standupnfl #nflagainstdv
Today: 24 Minutes for Her is counting on you
24 Minutes for Her needs your help with “NFL: 24 Minutes for Her”. Join 24 Minutes for Her and 18 supporters today.