NH81 six-lane Coimbatore to Karur road should be for every Indian
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
- New NH81 Proposal:
NHAI has dropped the approved and partially worked proposal for widening the existing Coimbatore to Karur-NH81 road from two-lane to six-lane (116 KM) and working on an altogether new six-lane proposal of distance of 114 KM.
Major portion of the newly proposed road is planned on the agriculture land (majorly 10000 coconut trees) which is well irrigated by the PAP (Parambikulam Aliyar) canal, receives 45 CM annual rainfall, reasonably populated, and economically self-sustained. The newly planned road is land marked on parallel to 5KM south off existing road.
- Problems in the new NH81 Proposal:
1. Existing road has vertical connection roads to the export city of Tiruppur which has a lot of medium to heavy weight industry establishments radially originated. Traffic(buses, cars and trucks) originated from southern Tiruppur to either Coimbatore or Karur cannot access the proposed road. Because from Tirupur (smart city) to the newly proposed road distance is significantly high(30KM). More importantly, the present traffic will happily continue to use the existing road rather than travel extra miles to reach the new road and the existing road is toll-free.
2. The townships (Palladam, Pongalur, Avinashipalaym, Kankeyam, Vellakovil, and Thennilai) were evolved (still evolving with global standards) over centuries and huge population is living in these townships and alongside roads connecting to Tiruppur. More than 500 state government owned buses (30000 passengers) ply on everyday on the Coimbatore to Karur. And these buses have to run across all these townships and cannot make use the new proposed road. As a result, the travel time and ride quality will continue to be the same for the general public. This will create a strong discrimination among the people. For example, cars and trucks plying Karur to Coimbatore will pay the toll and make use of the newly proposed road and this heavily discriminates the people.Is this road is only for luxury commuters and corporate trucks? Not for other citizens?
3. The proposed road will destroy the 10000 coconut trees, in the PAP irrigation basin. Already, the several thousands of coconut trees are destroyed due to severe drought. This movement will further reduce the coconut production and thereby negatively affect the people in several aspects. Is this a greenfield project?
4. Since there are two parallel roads, the utilization of the new road will not be maximized and the newly proposed road will not address the current burning needs of the people, will attract less traffic, hence, less revenue for NHAI.
In a nutshell, the newly proposed road outputs
- Very Low Usability
- Strong People Discrimination (road only for rich people?)
- Intense Agriculture (coconut) Destruction
- Less Traffic, Less Revenue
Implement the already approved and partially worked six-lane proposal which connects all townships from Coimbatore to Karur (Palladam, Pongalur, Avinashipalayam, Kankeyam, and Vellakovil). Save Coconut Trees, Save our life, Save Nation.
Today: Arul is counting on you
Arul Selvan R needs your help with “Newly Proposed NH81 Six-Lane Coimbatore to Karur Expressway should be for every Indian - Not for exclusive rich Indian”. Join Arul and 231 supporters today.