Support Applecart Arts' Licence Application
This petition made change with 305 supporters!
Support Applecart Arts’ application for a permanent premises licence.
This is a petition to show Applecart Arts' application to for a premises licence has the support of the local community in Newham. The licence will allow Applecart Arts to sell alcohol during events, under restricted conditions in respect of its neighbours, and better regulate alcohol consumption in the building in general.
The new Applecart Arts Cafe in the Harold Road Centre (Upton Park, London), has quickly established itself within the community as a relaxed and friendly space for local people to meet and work, and for artists to explore their craft. The next step in its development is to introduce the regulated sale of alcohol during artistic events, such as live performances of theatre, music, and poetry.
The sale of alcohol during such events will provide the cafe with important revenue, necessary to support the future development of the building as a quality arts centre, whilst maintaining its role as a hub for community events, support and celebrations. Having the option of selling alcohol during artistic and creative events is an established practice in the arts world, and a licence will make Applecart a more attractive venue for visiting productions and artists. The cafe itself is a very small space, with a capacity of no more than 50 people (including staff). The events held in the cafe will be small, but still be of great benefit to local engagement and education, the development of the arts scene in the area, and a support of community spirit.
Applecart Arts is an arts charity, which took over the Harold Road Centre in early 2017. Prior to this, the centre itself was struggling to remain open and looked certain to close, after which it would likely have been sold to, and demolished by, property developers. Applecart Arts have injected new life into the building and are keen to expand its reach to as many pockets of the community as possible in both artistic ventures and community outreach projects.
Supporting Applecart Arts' application for a permanent alcohol licence will:
- Allow Applecart Arts to continue their development of the building as a creative space for the community in Upton Park by ensuring more revenue.
- Guarantee Applecart Arts’ ability to regulate the consumption of alcohol onsite, allowing more control over alcohol consumption, and preventing anti-social behaviour. Without a permanent licence, alcohol can still be consumed on the site, but Applecart will have less control over the quantity consumed and the behaviour of its patrons.
- Ensure a greater prevention of anti-social behaviour in and around the centre's outdoor spaces by having more staff onsite for more hours of the day.
- Present Applecart Arts as an attractive option for visiting companies and artists, creating fair professional competition with other venues.
- Contribute to Home Office goals of promoting diverse and vibrant night-time economies in Newham (currently prioritised as a Local Alcohol Action Area).
Applecart Arts: A creative hub that celebrates the community it serves. We aim to reach across cultural divides and tell stories which engage, inspire and entertain our audiences.
Today: Applecart Arts Cafe is counting on you
Applecart Arts Cafe needs your help with “Newham Residents: Support Applecart Arts' Licence Application”. Join Applecart Arts Cafe and 304 supporters today.