Newegg: Cease Rotational Shifts, Start Work From Home, and require Face Masks in Office
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
In March, we had a brief period of work from home (WFH) but currently, we are now being pressured to go back into office and risk exposing ourselves and our families to COVID-19. We are asking Newegg to put the health and safety of its workers first and to bring itself back into compliance of the guidelines set forth by the State of California, and the County of Los Angeles.
1. Immediately close its non-essential indoor office operations as ordered by Gov. Newsom
2. Mandate the proper wearing of face masks by everyone in the office per Department of Public Health guidelines.
On July 13th, California State Governor Gavin Newsom issued a state order for Los Angeles county to close “offices for non-essential sectors” effective immediately. Currently 33 out of 58 counties in California are under those additional state mandated restrictions, LA County included. (https://covid19.ca.gov/roadmap-counties/)
- Counties that have remained on the County Monitoring List for 3 consecutive days will be required to shut down the following industries or activities unless they can be modified to operate outside or by pick-up.
- Offices for non-essential sectors
Furthermore, the offices of Newegg is considered not to be an essential sector according to the State of California. Here is a link of the types of jobs that California lists as essential: (https://covid19.ca.gov/img/EssentialCriticalInfrastructureWorkers.pdf) If you look at page 22 of the CA.GOV link above, you will find the following relevant statements:
- 13. INDUSTRIAL, COMMERCIAL, RESIDENTIAL, and SHELTERING FACILITIES AND SERVICES
- Essential Workforce, if remote working is not practical:
- 5. Workers in hardware and building materials stores, consumer electronics, technology and appliances retail, and related merchant retailers, wholesalers and distributors that support essential workforce functions where sales and operations cannot be conducted online.
The statement above proves that Newegg is an non-essential office and is required to immediately implement measures for employees to Work From Home (WFH) per Gov. Newsom’s orders. We ask for Newegg to start WFH for all non-essential office personnel immediately per state orders.
During a July 13th press conference, LA Mayor Eric Garcetti said the following statements highlighting the scale of the Coronavirus Pandemic:
- “’Los Angeles County now has more confirmed cases of the coronavirus than ‘all of Canada.’ If LA county was an independent country, it would have the 20th most cases in the world. We have never had as many people infected or infectious. We have never had as many recorded positive cases each day. And we've never had as many people in the hospital as there are tonight as I speak to you in Los Angeles,’ Garcetti said.” (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/los-angeles-county-has-more-cases-of-coronavirus-than-the-entire-country-of-canada-la-mayor-says/)
- Health officials in Los Angeles County report 1 in 140 people are currently infected with COVID-19. "Over the course of the coming week, it is estimated that [1 out of 140] will fall to 1 out of 100 or even 1 out of 70 residents of LA county," said Mayor Eric Garcetti.
Currently as of July 20th, California is the #2 state with the most confirmed cases of COVID-19 at 397,870 confirmed cases. More shockingly, 40% of the confirmed cases in California is right here at home in Los Angeles County with 159,045 confirmed cases. You can view the data yourself with this COVID-19 tracker by John Hopkins University: (https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0jxCWZm6_atgbc5GoMXElVIVApYcp8S0R6xZGgXI7hqh5xwGBC03peM4Y#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6)
In addition to implementing WFH measures, we are asking Newegg to require and enforce the proper wearing of face masks in the office per the guideline set forth by the LA County Department of Public Health:
- Everyone is asked to wear a face covering when they are interacting with others who are not members of their household in public and private spaces.
While HR does recommend for us to wear masks, we still have many people in office not wearing their masks, especially within top management. The people we most look up to are setting a bad example to their employees and making us feel uncomfortable. When I walk around in the office, roughly 40% of the employees I see are not wearing their masks, either at their desks or walking around. This is concerning because COVID-19 is able to spread airborne thru the air conditioning system of enclosed spaces.
- Indoor spaces with ventilation systems and lots of people are concerning from a transmission standpoint. Air conditioning can definitely make droplets containing infectious virus particles spread farther. (https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/can-air-conditioning-spread-covid-19)
Wearing a face mask is not to protect yourself, but to protect others. We rely on other people wearing their face masks in order to protect ourselves. Also importantly, in order for your face mask to be effective you have to wear it properly; that means covering both your nose and your mouth completely. Please wear a face mask; if it can help save one life, then it should be enforced and encouraged per the LA County Dept. of Public Health guidelines cited above.
However, in the end face masks only reduce the risks. The only way to completely protect Newegg employees is by working from home and avoiding contact with people. Rotational schedules will not work because you are still exposing yourself to people outside your household for prolonged periods of time, 8+ hours. It is wrong for management to pressure workers to go back to the office and expose ourselves to potential danger. We should never have to choose between the safety of our parents, loved ones and our jobs. Family always comes first. It is up to us to make a change for our own safety and the safety of our families.
Please don’t be fooled by the low fatality rate of this virus. In fact, for people over 65 years old and whom have one or more underlying health conditions, their fatality rate is around 10%. Additionally, half of the people who are put on ventilators don’t survive. Families that catch this virus are ripped apart as you cannot visit loved ones in the hospital; you can’t hold their hands and be there for them. The victims of COVID-19 will die alone in a hospital, far from their loved ones. It is up to us to prevent that.
Please join us in asking Newegg the following two demands:
- Implement full-time Work From Home procedures as ordered by Gov. Newsom.
- Implement and enforce wearing of face masks full-time for people in the office.
Thank you for supporting this petition,
-The Employees of Newegg
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!