Save Newburyport Pickleball
This petition had 333 supporters
Newburyport Pickleball has attracted people of all ages and skill levels, offering residents and visitors complimentary lessons to learn and play the sport. Enthusiasm for the sport in our community has grown from 20 players last summer to now over 375.
Despite the growing enthusiasm, some residents want to prevent the public from participating in organized play at Perkins Park, which is Newburyport's only public park facility to play.
Newburyport Pickleball welcomes the chance to work together with any of the residents that may take issue with people playing pickleball at Perkins Park. We believe it is important that everyone be allowed to use the city's public parks. This summer, Newburyport Pickleball used Perkins Park's basketball and tennis courts at night for only nine hours per week. During those nine hours the program attracted an average of 24 new and experienced players each night we played.
If the residents that don't want pickleball at the park succeed, it will not only end the program at Perkins Park, but puts at risk other future locations to play in Newburyport and opportunities to expand pickleball to meet the community's growing interest in the sport.
This issue will be decided by the Parks Commission at its meeting on Tuesday, October 10 at 6:00PM at the Newburyport Public Library.
Whether you are a player or supporter, a resident of the city or a neighbor living on the North Shore, you can help keep Newburyport pickleball alive and growing by voicing your support in three ways.
1. Sign this petition and pass it on to family and friends to sign.
2. Attend the Parks Commission meeting on October 10 at 6:00PM at the Newburyport Public Library, 94 State Street Newburyport, MA 01950. The future of our city's pickleball program will be decided at this meeting and we need a large turnout.
3. If you are a Newburyport resident, voice your support by contacting:
- Mayor Donna Holaday - (978) 465-4413 or by clicking the email link: https://www.cityofnewburyport.com/users/mayor/contact
- City Council Members - Find the contact information for each Councilor by visiting https://www.cityofnewburyport.com/city-council and clicking on the Councilor's name
- Parks Director, Lise Reid by clicking on the email link: https://www.cityofnewburyport.com/users/lreid/contact
- State Senator Kathleen O'Connor Ives - 617-722-1604 or Kathleen.OconnorIves@masenate.gov
- State Representative James M. Kelcourse - 978-465-1777 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This summer Pickleball brought together new and experienced players, Newburyport residents and Perkins Park neighbors, visitors from nearby communities, multigenerational families, and children and seniors. Who joined us in playing this summer? The community did.
Please support our efforts to continue offering pickleball to the community. Sign the petition. Attend the Parks Commission meeting. Contact your local officials.
Today: James is counting on you
James Jones needs your help with “Newburyport Parks Commission: Save Newburyport Pickleball”. Join James and 332 supporters today.