#FuckOff: Challenge the Depiction of Eating Disorders
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
The Netflix original movie "To The Bone" might depict some of the struggles of having an eating disorder well but some of it's key flaws make it more detrimental to the community than helpful.
1. It places the role of an unconventional doctor at the forefront of the plot instead of centering the mentally ill person's own strength and struggle
2. It's another story of a men encouraging a woman to do better further perpetuating seeing mentally ill people as helpless or ghosts of themselves
3. The romantic subplot is unnecessary and asserts the idea that romantic love can heal you
4. The movie excludes many people's experiences with eating disorders by centralizing a stereotypical white suburban girl-- thus perpetuating the fallacy that eating disorders only affect white women
5. The movie excludes the experiences of mentally ill people who are too poor to afford the kind of treatment the main character can participate in
Today: Robin is counting on you
Robin Gow needs your help with “Netflix: #FuckOff: Challenge the Depiction of Eating Disorders”. Join Robin and 35 supporters today.