Allow backyard chickens in Neptune Beach, FL
This petition had 63 supporters
Neptune Beach residents have waited long enough to have a backyard chicken program. Raising backyard hens is now legal in Jacksonville as well as our close neighbor, Atlantic Beach. Why not Neptune Beach?
Small-scale chicken keeping is a healthy, economic, and sustainable way to feed and enrich our families and our community.
1. A first hand lesson in self-sustainability and reduction of the overall carbon footprint (via food miles) as families with hens will have fresh eggs available at hand.
2. Lesson in responsibility as the hens will be fully responsible on the owners for food, shelter and safety.
3. Seen as therapeutic for children on the autism spectrum by getting the kids involved in feeding and caring for the chickens, thereby promoting independent living skills.
4. Source of pest control, weed control and manure all in one reducing chemicals on associated lawns.
5. Increased health of lawns and green-space results in better infiltration of storm-water and reduced erosion.
Raising chickens is a great way for kids to learn about nature, agriculture and the responsibility in caring for and respecting animals. While we already have an incredible community, allowing just a few quiet hens to permitted yards with the proper infrastructure will strengthen our community and quality of life even further.
Today: Stefanie is counting on you
Stefanie Ventimiglia needs your help with “Neptune Beach City Council: Allow backyard chickens in Neptune Beach, FL”. Join Stefanie and 62 supporters today.