Near South High School - Pershing Advocacy
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
GAP Neighbors -
WE NEED YOUR HELP! Even if you are not a parent, this still benefits you!
Please attend the below meetings AND sign this petition so we can show how strongly we are advocating to have residents who live within the neighborhood boundaries for Pershing elementary (as designated by CPS in above picture) included in the new Near South High School. See additional information below.
1) Tuesday, August 7th, 2018 from 6:00pm-8:00pm: Second Presbyterian Church, 1936 Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60616
* If you would like to speak, you need to sign up one hour beforehand in person (if time allows, they may let you speak if you show up late so come even if you can't get there at 5). THE MORE PEOPLE THE BETTER!
2) Aug 22 at 10:30a - cps board meeting to finally vote on this issue. We will send an email closer to that time with more details.
3) Please sign this petition! And send to your neighbors who we may have missed!
Residents who live within the neighborhood boundaries for Pershing elementary (as designated by CPS in above picture) seek guaranteed admission to the proposed near-South/NTA High School.
The currently proposed boundaries include children from Bridgeport, Chinatown and South Loop. Omitting Pershing families living within 1.3 to 2.4 miles of the school's location eliminates access to a high quality neighborhood option.
Did you know:
- Since 1998, Bronzeville TIF funds of $38 million helped construct NTA and additional community educational development.
- Pershing residential boundary is within 2 miles of the high school location which is closer than the northern-most proposed boundary at 2.7 miles away.
- Only 3% of current high school students attend their neighborhood option.
- Students zoned to Phillips as their neighborhood high school are
more likely to travel 3 or more miles to attend high school.
- The combined tax base of Pershing + South Loop, Chinatown and Bridgeport can support an expanded student enrollment and facilities for the new school.
- Please let CPS and our Alderwomen know that residents who live within the neighborhood boundaries for Pershing elementary request GUARANTEED access to this new school. We deserve a high quality option for the community's future and are committed to ensuring the long-term success of the new Near South High School.
Today: Near South is counting on you
Near South Community Advocacy needs your help with “Near South High School - Pershing Advocacy”. Join Near South and 123 supporters today.