For U.S. Mayors Only!!!
(If you are not a mayor please take the pledge at www.mywaterpledge.com)
In the state of California alone, nearly 20% of all energy consumption goes toward moving, cleaning and heating water. As it has become increasingly clear, the value of water conservation has enormous benefits to local economies, the environment, and even our global climate. In heavily populated drought plagued states the benefits of conservation are incalculable; in water abundant states the energy savings and the environmental benefits are enormous. The bottom line is: water conservation not only benefits every state in the nation — it benefits the entire planet.
On behalf of the Wyland Foundation, US EPA’s WaterSense program, Toyota, and a coalition non-profit organizations, private companies, broadcast partners and federal agencies, we would like to personally invite you to take the 2012 National Mayor's Challenge for Water Conservation. The challenge, March 30-April 30, 2012, is a non-profit community service competition between cities locally and across the nation to see who can be the most “water wise” through a series of informative, easy-to-use online pledges.
The program has had tremendous regional success in the past by encouraging residents in Southern California and South Florida to save more than 1 billion gallons of water — and a corresponding reduction in energy consumption and trash sent to landfills. It combines regional education about water and energy conservation and offers ways for people can save money, earn incentives to green their homes, and reduce our nation's environmental footprint.
Residents in winning cities are eligible to win any of more than 1,200 prizes, like water saving showerheads, eco-friendly yard maintenance equipment, and Toyota Prius Hybrid vehicles. Best of all, there is no additional taxpayer costs or city staff time required to take the challenge.
Why Your City Should Get Involved
- - No costs to cities or tax-payers.
- - Offers a fun, easy and affordable way to motivate your residents to conserve water and energy resources.
- - Create a legacy for you and your city by reafirming your commitment to protecting natural resources, reducing your “water footprint,” and maintaining healthy environmental practices.
- - Recognize and reward your residents who are committed to making a difference in your community.
- - Residents can save money, help your city meet conservation goals, discover water-related issues affecting your region — and earn a chance to win great prizes – including a Toyota Prius.
- - Ties in with state and national water, energy, and GHG management plans, such as California's AB32 or Texas' SB 184.
Download additional information about the Mayor's Challenge for Water Conservation at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27393986/2012%20Mayor%27s%20Challenge%20Overview_22112.pdf
Download the Mayor's Challenge Promotional Toolkit, with everything you need, ready to go, to help your city win - from web banners to press releases and more: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27393986/2012%20Mayor%27s%20Challenge%20Promotional%20Kit_NATIONAL_22112.pdf
Please challenge other mayors you know to support of the Mayor's Challenge mission as well. Thank you!
*THIS PETITION IS INTENDED FOR SIGNATURES ONLY BY U.S. MAYORS
Jennifer Small started this petition with a single signature, and now has 50 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.